Baylor Baseball Cruises to 12-0 Win Over SFA

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue May 17 22:03:16 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 17, 2022

Baylor BSB Cruises to 12-0 Win Over SFA
Nine-run third inning lifts Bears to first run-rule victory of 2022

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (25-24) cruised past Stephen F. Austin (14-35) on Tuesday night to the tune of a 12-0 run-rule victory at Baylor Ballpark.

The Bears made use of a nine-run third inning in which they sent 14 batters to the plate in breezing past the Lumberjacks. Cam Caley also turned in five scoreless innings on the mound in BU’s third shutout of the season.

Jack Pineda wasted no time getting the scoring started with a lead-off home run on just the second pitch of the game to put the Bears up 1-0. But the real damage came in the third inning, as seven hits and one SFA error resulted in a crooked number and extended Baylor’s lead to a quick 10-0 advantage. Kyle Nevin, Casen Neumann, Antonio Valdez, Jacob Schoenvogel, Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo, Tre Richardson and Jared McKenzie each picked up RBIs in Baylor’s nine-run outburst, its most runs scored in a single inning this year.

With plenty of run support, Caley coasted through the next couple of innings and finished his day with just three hits and three walks allowed. He only struck out one, though his defense helped him out with four double plays turned to extend its nation-leading total to 58.

BU added one in the fifth off a Neumann RBI groundout and another in the sixth thanks to Ian Groves’ fourth long ball the year to swell the lead. Brett Garcia got an out in the sixth and Cole Stasio pitched the final 1.2 innings to see out the run-rule.

NOTES
• Baylor remained unbeaten all-time against SFA with a perfect 30-0 record, including a 3-0 mark against the Lumberjacks under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez.
• BU improved to 53-18 in midweek matchups under Rodriguez, including a 10-3 mark in such games this year.
• The Bears finished their home slate of midweek contests at an unblemished 8-0 in 2022.
• BU also improved to 7-0 this season when wearing its pinstripe uniforms.
• Baylor extended its streak to 28 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 17 of their last 18 games.
• BU continues to lead the nation with 58 double plays in 2022 after turning another four against the ‘Jacks.
• Baylor scored a season-high nine runs in the third inning, its most in a single frame since posting 17 on May 9, 2021 against Kansas State.
• Jack Pineda led off the game with a home run, BU’s first lead-off homer since Pineda did so on April 17, 2021 at Kansas.
• Pineda also posted his 19th multi-hit game of 2022, a team high.
• Tre Richardson tallied his 11th multi-RBI game of the season.
• Casen Neumann recorded his third multi-RBI and third multi-hit performance of the year.
• Jacob Schoenvogel notched his second multi-RBI game of the 2022 campaign.
• Schoenvogel also extended his team-leading on-base streak to 11 games.
• Kyle Nevin now has a hit streak of seven games to lead the Bears.

STAT OF THE GAME
9 – Baylor scored nine runs in the third inning, its most in a single frame this season.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On tonight’s win…
“It was good to come out and have our guys offensively take some really good at-bats. Being able to put up nine runs in an inning is always a good thing. They weren’t forcing at-bats or swinging at pitches they shouldn’t. We got more guys in scoring position to allow the next guy up to just execute. Quality at-bats, good baserunning, and then we got great starting pitching from Cam Caley. He did a good job inducing some double plays. I think we turned four more tonight. The ability to get a guy on and then induce another double play was very beneficial for him tonight.”

On leading the nation with 58 double plays…
“We love it. For infielders, those plays some of the greatest things because it’s constant action and everyone’s involved. We work on it a lot, that’s the biggest thing. When we’re able to go and execute those things, it’s great for the pitchers. And there’s nothing better for infielders to keep them engaged than getting a lot of ground balls.

Sophomore LHP Cam Caley
On what’s been working for him on the mound…
“I’ve just been trying to focus on hitting my spots and letting my pitches do the work. Letting my team behind me do the work. I’m not really too focused on getting strikeouts or trying to make a super big pitch or anything. I’m just trying to do my job.”

Junior INF Jack Pineda
On setting the tone for the offense…
“We’ve put together really good at-bats and put the ball in play. I think that’s something we’ve been doing a really good job of. The coaches have really congratulated, for lack of a better term, congratulated us on our ability to strikeout less and put the ball in play with two strikes and I think you saw that today. It just gives us a chance. Hitting is contagious and hopefully we can keep that going through the weekend.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (25-24, 6-15) welcomes No. 8 Oklahoma State (34-17, 13-8) for its final three-game series of the season beginning Thursday, May 19 at 6:30 p.m. CT at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)