Baylor Baseball Falls in Tight 7-5 Contest at K-State

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat May 14 20:14:10 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 14, 2022

Baylor BSB Falls in Tight 7-5 Contest at K-State
Bears erase five-run deficit, but come up short despite Richardson’s three hits

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Baylor baseball (24-23, 6-14) erased a five-run deficit, but ultimately fell to Kansas State (26-23, 7-13) by a final of 7-5 on Saturday afternoon at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kan.

Behind a Jared McKenzie two-run home run and a game-tying three-run blast by Tre Richardson, the Bears knotted the tally at 5-5, but a pair of runs in the seventh allowed the Wildcats to pull away. Richardson notched three hits for the second game in a row and the BU bullpen combined for 11 strikeouts on the day.

K-State got to Baylor’s starter Kobe Andrade early, chasing him after just 1.1 innings of work while scoring two in the first and three in the second. However, reliever Grant Golomb came on to throw the next 3.2 scoreless and picked up four punchouts, allowing Baylor to get back in it.

McKenzie’s two-run shot came in the top of the fourth, then Richardson tied the ballgame with a three-run round-tripper in the fifth. The duo combined for four of Baylor’s seven hits, as Kyle Nevin, Casen Neumann and Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo accounted for the other three.

Mason Marriott struck out the side following a leadoff single in the sixth, but ended up being hit with the loss after giving up the go-ahead two-run single in the seventh. K-State was able to hold on from there, matching the zeros put up by Baylor’s Hambleton Oliver over the final 1.1 innings with three strikeouts and setting up a rubber match for Sunday’s series finale.

NOTES
• Baylor extended its streak to 26 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 15 of their last 16 games.
• BU’s pitching staff racked up 11 strikeouts for its 13th double-digit outing of the season.
• Tre Richardson recorded his 16th multi-hit and 10th multi-RBI game of the year with his second-consecutive three-hit game.
• Richardson also blasted his fourth home run of the season.
• Jared McKenzie’s eighth home run of the year resulted in his 11th multi-RBI game of 2022.
• Jacob Schoenvogel extended his on-base streak to a team-leading nine games.
• Kyle Nevin extended his hit streak to five games.

STAT OF THE GAME
3 – Tre Richardson collected his second three-hit effort of the weekend and hit a game-tying three-run home run in the fifth inning.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On today’s ballgame…
“It seemed like a tale of two different pitchers. [German] Fajardo did a really good job for Kansas State. He had three pitches that he was mixing in and was filling up the zone in all different counts. He had our guys kind of fooled a little bit. Then we finally got to him late, which I was really happy about. Our guys continued to battle and kept putting good swings on balls as the game went on. We just couldn’t get ahead of hitters early. I thought we did a good job holding it down, but later on we just gave up too many free bases. Overall, it was a good game, it was a competitive game, but too many mistakes at the end kind of put us down.”

On Tre Richardson’s hot weekend at the plate…
“He’s seeing the ball really well and what I like is that he’s hitting the ball hard on a consistent basis. Even the last out of the game he smoked right on a line. That’s all I can ask, that every time you get in to the box and get a good pitch to hit that you lay a good swing on it and hit it hard. He’s doing that really well and filling up that kill zone, doing a really good job of maximizing every swing he gets out of that spot. This weekend has been really good for him and good for our team.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (24-23, 6-14) and K-State (26-23, 7-13) return for a rubber match in Sunday’s series finale at 1:00 p.m. CT at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kan.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)