No. 16 Baylor WGOLF Runs Away with Stillwater Regional

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Wed May 11 17:44:00 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 11, 2022
No. 16 Baylor WGOLF Runs Away with Stillwater Regional
BU captures second regional title in program history
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

STILLWATER, Okla. – Baylor women’s golf tied its fifth-largest margin of victory in the Jay Goble era winning the Stillwater Regional on Wednesday by 14 shots with a three-day total of 1-over 865 for its first regional title since 2015.

The 865 is the second-best 54-hole women’s score in Karsten Creek history. Three BU golfers finished tied for second, marking the first time in program history three Baylor players finished in the top-five in an NCAA postseason event.

Rosie Belsham shot a third-consecutive round at par or better with a 1-under 71 to secure a tie for second. The sophomore started her round with six-straight pars before a bogey at No. 7. She rebounded with birdies at Nos. 9 and 10 to dip into red figures and would stay there through 13 holes. Belsham played the next three holes at two over with a bogey at 14, birdie at 15 and double bogey at 16. But she would close strong with an eagle at No. 18 for the second time in three days to notch the best finish of her career.

Fellow sophomore Britta Snyder matched her career-best finish with a tie for second as well thanks to a 1-under 71, her second round at par or better this week. With an early bogey on the card, Snyder responded with a pair of birdies at No. 4 and No. 9 to finish the opening nine in red figures with a 1-under 35. She made a bogey at No. 13 but followed that up with four-straight pars, including a pair of crucial up-and-downs at Nos. 16 and 17 before closing out with a birdie at No. 18 for a second time in three days.

Gurleen Kaur followed up a second-round 67 with an even-par 72 in the final round to finish in a tie for 2nd, her best finish in an NCAA postseason event. Her previous best also came at Karsten Creek, when she tied for seventh at the 2018 NCAA Championship. Kaur started with two bogeys and a double on the front side en route to a 4-over 40, but for the second time in as many days, she carded a bogey-free back nine. Two birdies and an eagle at the 18th pulled her into a share of second place with her two teammates.

Addie Baggarly battled her way to a tie for 19th with a 2-over 74 on Wednesday. After three bogeys on the front nine at Nos. 2, 6 and 7, Baggarly was three over through nine holes. A bogey at the 10th dropped her to 4-over on the day, but birdies at Nos. 11 and 14 on the inward half helped Baylor be one of just two teams with four players to finish inside the top-20.

Hannah Karg came home in a tie for 35th with a 5-over 77 on Wednesday. The junior shot a 4-over 40 on the opening nine with five bogeys and one birdie, but closed with a 1-over 37 on the back nine.

Arizona State finished in second place with a 15-over 879, while Oklahoma State and Auburn tied for third to clinch the final two spots into the NCAA Championship with a 17-over 881.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      865 is Baylor’s second-best 54-hole postseason score in program history, bested only by their 842 en route to winning the San Antonio regional in 2015.

•      Wednesday’s 288 tied for the ninth-best postseason round in program history.

•      Wednesday’s score also tied for the ninth-best women’s round in Karsten Creek history.

•      The 14-shot margin was Baylor’s largest victory in the NCAA postseason and their biggest since a 30-shot victory at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational.

•      Each of Baylor’s last four victories have come by at least 12 shots.

•      Baylor led or tied for the lead in in Par-3 (3.00), Par-4 (4.25) and Par-5 (4.65) scoring.

•      BU’s six eagles were the most in the field, two more than Clemson’s four.

•      Gurleen Kaur had three eagles to lead the field, while Rosie Belsham tied for the second-most with two.

•      Belsham tied for the best par-5 scoring average for the week with a 4.33.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble: “I really believe that this is the biggest win in our team's history. To come out here and play the way we did at Karsten Creek, which is one of our competitor’s home golf course, in the convincing fashion we did – I couldn't be more proud of them. I really do believe that this is probably the biggest win in our team's history.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor will make its second-straight appearance at the NCAA Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club May 20-25 in Scottsdale, Ariz. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]