No. 20 Baylor WGOLF in Third Place Entering the Final Round at The Darius Rucker

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue Mar 1 21:42:52 CST 2022

No. 20 Baylor WGOLF in Third Place Entering the Final Round at The Darius Rucker
The Bears will play in the final group on Wednesday
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – On a day where only one team broke par, Baylor women’s golf shot a 7-over 291 to settle into third place with 18 holes to play at Long Cove Club.

BU’s Rosie Belsham led the way on Tuesday with a 1-under 71 to sit in a tie for ninth place. She was one of just 13 in the 90-player field to break par in the second round. After a bogey on her second hole of the day at the par-4 11th, Belsham played her next nine holes at one-under before a bogey at the par-5 third. From there, she carded birdies at Nos. 6 and 8 to close her round with a 2-under 34 on her inward nine.

Fellow sophomore Britta Snyder started with a steady, even-par 35 on her opening nine. She dipped into red figures with a chip-in at the par-5 third before back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 4 and 5 left her in a tie for 13th, just a stroke outside the top-10.

Gurleen Kaur had her streak of eight-straight rounds at par, or better snapped on Tuesday with a 3-over 74. Kaur shot a 3-over 38 on her outward nine but rebounded nicely with three birdies in her next five holes to get back to one-over-par. Bogeys at six and seven saw her come home with an even-par 36 on the inward half and finish Tuesday in a tie for 13th.

Freshman Antonia Matte recorded the fourth counting score Tuesday with a 4-over 75. Matte had a rollercoaster start to her round with a double bogey, birdie, bogey stretch at Nos. 12-14, but she steadied herself with five-straight pars. Two bogeys in the final eight holes put Matte in a tie for 28th with 18 holes to play.

Freshman BaiMai Seema finished with a 5-over 76 and is in a tie for 67th, heading into Wednesday's final round.

At +10, Baylor enters Wednesday within one shot of second-place Arizona State (+9) and seven shots of the leader Wake Forest (+3). Arizona State's Calynne Rosholt is the individual leader by a shot over Carolina Lopez-Chacarra of Wake Forest and Bohyun Park of Texas.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Baylor’s 25 birdies tied for the second-most through two rounds.

•      The Bears' par-4 scoring average of 4.15 is also tied for second-best.

•      This week, Rose Belsham is 1-under on the par-3's, which is tied for third-best in the field.

•      Gurleen Kaur’s par-4 stroke average of 3.91 ranks third through two rounds.

•      Britta Snyder’s 4.67 par-5 scoring average is tied for third-best through 36 holes.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble — “Playing some of those back-nine holes with the wind early in the round was a little bit challenging, but we achieved our goal of making the final group. We have a chance to have a great day tomorrow. I’m excited that we are in the last group to give us some more exposure on the Golf Channel. We checked off a lot of the goals on a course that we are going to have to continue to stay patient on tomorrow.”

WHAT'S NEXT

The Bears will play in the final group Wednesday and will start on the No. 1 tee. Baimai Seema will lead things off at 10:20 a.m. CT, followed by Antonia Matte at 10:30 a.m. and Britta Snyder at 10:40 a.m. Gurleen Kaur will go at 10:50 a.m. with Rosie Belsham following in the anchor position at 11:00 a.m. Live coverage will begin on Golf Channel at 1:30 p.m. CT. Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=24780>. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]