No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Finishes in a Tie for 10th at Moon Golf Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:27:29 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 22, 2022
No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Finishes in a Tie for 10th at Moon Golf Invitational
Gurleen Kaur records 18th career top-10 finish
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Baylor women’s golf wrapped up its first stroke-play event of the spring Tuesday in a tie for 10th at the Moon Golf Invitational with a 54-hole total of 882.

Gurleen Kaur fired a third-straight round of par or better with a 1-under 71 on Tuesday. Her three-day total of 2-under 214 put her in a tie for 10th. The senior from Houston bounced back from an opening-hole bogey by playing the next 13 holes at 3-under par. After bogeys at Nos. 14 and 17, she closed the tournament with a birdie at the last, her fourth birdie of the day. Tuesday marks Kaur’s fourth top-10 finish in five stroke-play events this season.

Antonia Matte had another solid round with an even par-72 on Tuesday, her second-straight round at par or better. The freshman dipped into red figures with a birdie at the par-4 fourth, but ran into trouble with a triple bogey seven at the par-4 ninth. She responded with birdies at Nos. 10, 11, and 18 to get back to even par for the round. Her three-day total of 7-over 223 put her in a tie for 50th.

Sophomore Rosie Belsham carded a 2-over 74 to finish in a tie for 57th. After playing the front-nine at 2-over, Belsham responded with an even-par 36 on the back, punctuated with a pair of birdies at Nos. 17 and 18.

Britta Snyder wrapped up her week with a 4-over 76 for Baylor’s final counting score of the day. Snyder finished in a tie for 60th with a score of 11-over 226.

Junior Hannah Karg closed out the tournament with a 6-over 78, bringing her 54-hole total to 234, putting her in 78th place.

Florida State took the team title with a score of 10-under 854, while LSU’s Ingrid Lindblad took home individual medalist honors with a 10-under 206.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Gurleen Kaur was one of five players in the field to shoot par or better in all three rounds.

•      Kaur now has 18 career top-10s, the 4th-most in program history, three behind Hannah Burke and Melanie Hagewood (21).

•      Kaur played the par-4's at 4-under for the week, tied for third-best in the field.

•      Antonia Matte led the Bears in Par-5 scoring with an average of 4.67 (-4), the fifth-best for the tournament.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head Coach Jay Goble — “It was not great overall, but there were some flashes of brilliance. More than anything, I think it's good to be back in competition. It's good to get a glimpse of what we need to work on to get better and what we need to do to move forward. In my mind, that's what this tournament is going to do for us. Finishing ninth, 10th and 11th place is ideally not where we want to be, but from what I saw this week, we can get there. I definitely see a lot of upside to our games, and we'll be moving in that direction, I promise you.”

WHAT’S NEXT

BU will return to action at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate Feb. 28-March 2 at The Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The event will be the first-ever all-women’s regular-season collegiate event to be televised on the network. Live coverage begins at 1:30 p.m. CT each day. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]