Baylor MGOLF Finishes 7th at the Big 12 Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Wed Apr 27 17:04:42 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 27, 2022
Baylor MGOLF Finishes 7th at the Big 12 Championship
Senior Mark Reppe shoots 2-under in his final round as a Bear
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>
TRINITY, Texas – Baylor men’s golf shot a 1-over 289 in the final round to claim a seventh-place finish at the Big 12 Championship at Whispering Pines.
BU improved its score in each of the final two rounds, highlighted by the fifth-best round of the day on Wednesday.
The Bears were led Wednesday by Mark Reppe, who shot a 2-under 70 in his final collegiate event, tied for his second-lowest round of the season. Starting on the back nine, the senior carded a birdie at No. 15 to break into red figures, but a double at the following hole put him at 1-over through nine. Reppe responded with a birdie at No. 1 adding four more at Nos. 4, 6, 7 and 8 for a 3-under 33 on his closing nine to finish in a tie for 20th.
Johnny Keefer finished a shot behind Reppe with a final round score of 1-under 71, but led the Bears at 2-over for the week, good enough for a tie for 16th. In round three, Keefer made it through seven holes at even par, but a bogey at No. 17 put him at 1-over, making the turn. The junior recorded his first birdie at the par-5 2nd hole and added another at No. 6 to get to 1-under, his second round at par or better for the tournament.
Zach Heffernan shot a 1-over 73 in the final round to climb into a tie for 37th, the best finish of his career. The freshman fell to 4-over through nine holes, but after a third bogey of the day at No. 18, Heffernan bounced back with a birdie at No. 1. From there, he made birdies at Nos. 3, 5 and 6 for a 3-under 33 second nine.
Drew Wrightson had a strong finish to his first Big 12 Championship with a 3-over 75. The freshman made a pair of early birdies at Nos. 13 and 16, but made a double-bogey and a triple-bogey at Nos. 17 and 18 to finish with a 3-over 39 on his outward nine. He opened his back nine with four-straight pars and his third birdie of the day at No. 5 before closing with three pars and a bogey at No. 9.
Luke Morgan was inserted into the lineup for the final round, and after an 8-over 44 on his opening nine, the sophomore made birdies at Nos. 2, 5 and 8 for a 1-under 35 on his inward half and a final-round total of 7-over 79.
Oklahoma claimed the team title over Oklahoma State with a 54-hole total of 850, two shots better than the Cowboys. Texas Tech’s Ludvig Aberg won the individual title with an 8-under 208, two shots ahead of Oklahoma’s Chris Gotterup.
HIGHLIGHTS

•      BU made 15 birdies on the front-nine Wednesday, second only to Oklahoma, which had 16.

•      Zach Heffernan tied for the best par-3 scoring average (2.92) and was one of just five players to play the par-3’s under par.

•      Four of Baylor’s six participants this week played in their first Big 12 Championship.

•      Johnny Keefer notched his best finish in the Big 12 Championship (16th).
QUOTE OF THE DAY
Head coach Mike McGraw “We hoped to plant some seeds for next year – we knew we were not in such good shape this year, if you will. But one-over-par is pretty good on this golf course. I don't care who you are, whenever you shoot it, that's a nice number. So, I'm really happy with that. It was great to see Mark go out with a two-under round today, and Johnny saved every shot he possibly could, that was for sure. I’m really proud of the guys. We didn't have anything with pride to play for today, and they did that very well, so I'm happy about that.”
For more information on Baylor Men’s Golf, follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.baylorbears.com/>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]