No. 17 Baylor WGOLF Closes Regular Season at Bruzzy Challenge

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 10 13:26:47 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 10, 2022
No. 17 Baylor WGOLF Closes Regular Season at Bruzzy Challenge
BU won the event in its last appearance in 2019
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

FORT WORTH, Texas – Baylor women’s golf will close out the regular season beginning Monday morning when the Bears open play at the Bruzzy Challenge.

Baylor won the event in its only other appearance in 2019 and will be one of six ranked teams in the field this week at Waterchase Golf Club.

Coming off a third-place finish at the PING/ASU Invitational, head coach Jay Goble looks forward to seeing his team’s upward trajectory continue into the postseason.

"We played well last time out in Arizona, and we want to continue that trend as the postseason approaches," Goble said. "We got out here, and it almost felt like a Big 12 Championship preview with eight other Big 12 teams in the field. I look forward to watching us continue to improve on scoring our own ball on a course that really feels like home cooking for us.”

Gurleen Kaur returns to the No. 1 spot for a sixth time this season. The senior, fresh off an appearance at the LPGA’s Chevron Championship, finished in a tie for fifth in her last start with the Bears, her fourth top-5 finish of the season.

Britta Snyder will play at the No. 2 spot this week after shooting par or better in three of her last four rounds. The sophomore is coming off a tie for 19th at the Ping/ASU Invitational, which was her third-straight top-20 finish.

Rosie Belsham, who will play at the No. 3 spot again this week, had her best finish of the spring with a tie for 19th with Snyder in Arizona.

Addie Baggarly will play at No. 4 for the second-straight event. The graduate transfer is coming off a tie for 33rd, which was her best finish as a Bear. She finished strong with an even-par 72 in the final round, also her best since joining the team.

Freshman Antonia Matte will play at No. 5, making her return to the lineup after not playing in BU’s last team event.

BaiMai Seema will make her fifth start of the season but her first as an individual in Fort Worth. Anika Veintemilla will also play as an individual, making her first start of the season and her first since the Kissing Tree Invitational in the fall of 2020.

BU will also be wearing University of the Southwest hats during competition this week to honor the victims of a tragic bus crash last month that killed six USW golfers and their head coach. It was a tragedy that struck close to home for Goble, and he wanted to find a way to honor the victims.

“I get emotional just talking about it,” Goble said. “Our hearts go out to our University of the Southwest family. We’ve all been in that position before, driving a van with our teams late at night, and we just want to show that our thoughts and prayers are with them.”

The 54-hole event will begin with an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Monday, followed by 36 holes. The tournament will conclude with 18 holes on Tuesday, with another 8:30 a.m. shotgun start. Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=23965>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]