WG: Baylor Women's Golf in Fifth Place Entering Final Round of The Cougar Classic

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Mon Sep 13 21:21:24 CDT 2021

Baylor Women’s Golf in Fifth Place Entering Final Round of Cougar Classic
Rosie Belsham setting the pace for Baylor at 7-under through two round
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280 or @WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>
THE RUNDOWN
CHARLESTON, SC – The Baylor women’s golf team is in 5th place at the Cougar Classic after shooting 8-under 568 across 36 holes Monday at Yemans Hall Golf Club in Charleston, South Carolina.
The 11th-ranked Bears sit eight shots off The University of Georgia’s lead of 16-under par. Arkansas is in 2nd at 11-under, while Florida and Central Florida are tied for 3rd at 9-under par.
The Bears had three players in red figures on Monday, led by sophomore Rosie Belsham, who fired a 3-under 69 and a 4-under 68 to sit in 4th place at 7-under. Britta Snyder is two shots back of Belsham in ninth place at 3-under. Snyder had a stretch in her second round where she birdied four of the last six holes on the back nine.
Freshman Antonia Matte had an impressive collegiate debut, firing a 2-under 70 in the first round of her career and followed it up with a 1-under 71 to finish tied with Snyder heading into the 3rd and final round of Tuesday.
Matte was 2-over through her first eight holes of the day but responded with birdies on five of her next six.
Senior Gurleen Kaur played her first nine holes of the day at 5-over, but rebounded nicely to play her next 27-holes in 2-under par to finish tied for 61st at 3-over. Junior Hannah Karg finished her day at +7, closing strong with birdies on her final two holes of the day.
THE RUNDOWN

•      As a team Baylor played the par-3’s at even par on the day which was second-best behind only Vanderbilt.

•      Rosie Belsham took advantage of the par-3’s as well, playing them in 3-under par, which was tied for the best in the field.

•      Belsham was also 2-under on the par-4’s and par-5’s, respectively.

•      Belsham made the fourth-most birdies (10) in the field as well.

•      In addition to playing well on the par-3’s, sophomore Britta Snyder was 3-under on the par-5’s, which was tied for eighth best in the field.

•      Snyder also finished in the top-10 in the field with eight birdies through the first two rounds.

•      Freshman Antonia Matte made 27 pars which was tied for second-best in the field.
QUOTE OF THE DAY I
Head Coach Jay Goble -- “I'm happy with how hard they competed,” Goble said. “I'm happy with the fact that they tried -- as best they could -- to stay in the present and hit one shot at a time. Eight-under is definitely nothing to slouch over, but I think we easily left ten shots on the golf course today.”
QUOTE OF THE DAY II
Head Coach Jay Goble on Freshman Antonia Matte – “She is a superstar in the making,” Goble said. “To shoot a couple under par in your first college tournament and not play your best, is pretty amazing. I'm proud of her, and I’m excited for future. Again, we have a solid team, we just couldn't quite put it all together today. I think we'll make a few more putts tomorrow and we'll have a good finish.”
WHAT’S NEXT
Tuesday’s final round will again be a shotgun start at 8:45 a.m. Baylor will be grouped with UCF and North Carolina. Rosie Belsham will tee off on hole-number 3. Britta Snyder will tee off on hole-number 4. Gurleen Kaur and Antonia Matte tee off on number 5 and Hannah Karg will begin her final round on number 6. Live scoring of the Cougar Classic is available on Golfstat.<http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=23664> Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.
Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications | Baylor University
C: 254-227-2280

[cid:54E1C264-CCBD-4145-8720-CBB53143EB50]