XC: Baylor Cross Country Wraps Up Season at NCAA Regional

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 12 17:37:13 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 12, 2021
 Baylor Cross Country Wraps Up Season at NCAA Regional
Bears look to a promising track season
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu<mailto:Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu>
THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country ended its 2021 season at the NCAA South Central Regional, Friday morning at Cottonwood Creek Golf Course in Waco.  Men’s and women’s teams finished 17th and 11th, respectively.
Lily Jacobs set the pace for the women’s squad with a 50th-place finish and a 6K time of 22:12.9. True-freshman Taylor Whitfield, who missed nearly a month because of illness and injury, followed closely behind with a 52nd-place finish in 22:14.8. Ellie Friesen finished 60th with a time of 22:29.6, Celia Holmes finished 70th with a 22:40.0 time, Hayden Gold finished 97th with a time of 22:11.0 and Mazie Larsen ended in 107th with a time of 23:21.9. The women finished with a total of 300 points in 11th-place.
For the men, Ryan Hodge was out in front, finishing in 34th-place with a time of 32:06.9. Philip Roxas came sprinting into the finish to end up 64th with a time of 32:58.3. Ryan Day finished 82nd with a 33:22.5 time, Christopher Martinez finished in 108th-place with a time of 34:10.6, and Kade Hulett ended No. 150 with a time of 36:39.6. The men’s squad finished in 17th-place with a total of 389 points.
With no athletes advancing to nationals in Tallahassee, Fla., the Bears now shift their focus to the track, with the first meet at Texas A&M in December.
HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Philip Roxas beat his previous 10K personal best (2019) by exactly 30-seconds.
STAT OF THE MEET
34 – Career-best finish by Ryan Hodge at the NCAA South Central Regional
TOP QUOTES
David Barnett looking forward…
“A lot of these guys aren’t going to be 5K or 10K guys on the track. I’ve seen a lot of development this fall from a mental standpoint, especially on the men’s team. They’ve been working towards big things. The women are going to have some track athletes as well, but on the men’s side our top-3 are all going to be able to score points on the track. I can already see it coming together for people on the track. I’m looking forward to that.”
Senior Ryan Hodge on his performance this year…
“After the A&M meet when I broke 24, that really put it on my mind that I belong up here. To be able to have that in my mind and continue going into this meet, that was my motivation. I do belong up here. Once again, when it’s a 10K, that extra 2K really does play a factor. I do think with time it’ll come.”
Sophomore Lily Jacobs on the meet…
“I can’t say I felt great. It definitely was improvement from conference. I think we were all wanting to bounce back. It was kind of a hot day, overall, but it was fun to be at home. And I think it was a good way to end the season. It wasn’t horrible, I think it could have been a little more aggressive. But, all credit goes to Taylor (Whitfield), our second runner. She was out for about a month and had the race of her life today. So, super proud of her.”

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications | Baylor University
C: 254-227-2280

[cid:54E1C264-CCBD-4145-8720-CBB53143EB50]