No. 23 Baylor WT Sweeps Pair of Matches Over Prairie View A&M

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 16 17:50:19 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 16, 2021

No. 23 Baylor WT Sweeps Pair of Matches Over Prairie View A&M
Bears start 2021 with 2-0 mark
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – The No. 23-ranked Baylor women’s tennis team swept a pair of matches over Prairie View A&M Saturday to open the 2021 spring season with 7-0 victories in each match.

The Bears won at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center to start the chilly morning before moving to the Hurd Tennis Center outdoors, but the result was the same in each venue.

Baylor improved to 9-0 all-time vs. Prairie View A&M.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Baylor won all six doubles matches and 12 singles matches vs. the Lady Panthers.

• Freshman Sara Ziodato picked up her first collegiate wins on the singles court, going 2-0 on the day.

• Mel Krywoj joined Livia Kraus for the team lead with her 9th & 10th singles victories of the season. Krywoj is 10-4 on the season while Kraus is 10-3 after one singles win in the first match Saturday.

• Kraus and Angelina Shakhraichuk were the only two players to team up for both matches on the doubles court, going 2-0 on No. 3.

THEY SAID IT

Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano on starting 2-0 …
“To win in a team match, a lot of things have to come together. Everybody has to do their job, focus on the present and not get distracted. Overall, we did a very good job with that. There’s always room to improve. We’re going to be a better team in a couple of days. We’ll play Rice, make a couple of adjustments and keep getting better.”

Baylor junior Livia Kraus on getting back to action …
“We were pretty excited to finally play again after a few months of not playing. We were all pretty pumped up. We didn’t look at our opponents. We stuck to our system and did what was best for our team.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor hosts Rice Monday at 1 p.m. The match will be played outdoors at the Hurd Tennis Center if weather permits with the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center as the alternative.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D5070F.1E7C3CA0]<http://baylorbears.com/>