No. 15 MT Collects Two Wins To Open 2021 Season

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Jan 15 22:16:41 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 15, 2021

No. 15 MT Collects Two Wins To Open 2021 Season
Bears defeat Lamar 7-0, ACU 6-1 in Woodson’s head coaching debut

WACO, Texas – No. 15 Baylor men’s tennis (2-0) opened its 2021 season with two wins on Friday at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, defeating Lamar 7-0 and Abilene Christian 6-1.

Interim head coach Michael Woodson picked up his first two career wins as a head coach.

With the wins, the Bears improved to 25-1 in home openers dating back to 1996 and hold a 28-match win streak at home.

MATCH ONE: Baylor 7, Lamar 0
The Bears got off to a hot start, claiming the doubles point with wins on all three courts. Adrian Boitan/Nick Stachowiak opened it up with a 6-2 victory over Nicolas Mayr/Axel Vila Antuna in the No. 1 spot, while Finn Bass/Alex Garcia took a 6-1 win on court three over Brandon Do/Joshua Taylor.

With the doubles point already secured, Constantin Frantzen/Matias Soto finished out a 6-4 match against Filippo Salsini/Joshua Sundaram in the second position.

In singles action, No. 74 Stachowiak got his first dual-match singles win as a member of the green and gold 6-2, 6-0 over Mayr on court two. Fellow graduate transfer Spencer Furman followed that up with a 6-1, 6-2 victory on court three against Salsini to give the Bears a 3-0 advantage in the match.

Ryan Dickerson took care of business on court five, winning 6-1, 6-0 over Do to clinch the match for BU.

Baylor carried momentum throughout the season-opener, as Alex Garcia won 6-4, 6-3 against Joshua Taylor on court six, No. 46 Boitan cruised past Vila Antuna 6-3, 6-3 in the top position and Finn Bass closed it out with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Sundaram on court four.

MATCH TWO: Baylor 6, ACU 1
Once again, the Bears wasted no time on the doubles courts as Charlie Broom/Soto defeated Savan Chhabra/Riley Tran 6-1 in the No. 1 spot and Dickerson/Furman teamed up to win 6-3 over Joaquin Delgado/Jose Maria Rastrojo on court two, sealing the doubles point.

The Frantzen brothers paired up on court three for a 6-3 victory against Oswaldo Cano/Andrew Otzenberger, marking the duo’s third-career doubles win as a team and first of 2021.

Christopher Frantzen kicked off the singles scoring with a dominant 6-1, 6-0 win over Rastrojo on court five, the first dual-match singles victory of his young career. Broom followed suit with a 6-2, 6-1 win, the first singles win of his Baylor career, against Cano in the second spot.

In his collegiate debut, Joseph Chen earned the clinching point with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Otzenberger on court six.

To round things out, No. 56 Soto grinded out a 6-3, 7-5 win on the top court over Chhabra and No. 66 Constantin Frantzen claimed a three-set victory on court three against Tran 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7).

ACU’s lone point came as Sebastian Nothhaft fell in a thrilling three-set match to Delgado, 3-6, 7-6(7), 1-0 (10-5).

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor is now 25-1 in home openers since 1996.
• The Bears hold a 28-match win streak at home.
• BU extended its current win streak to six matches.
• Interim head coach Michael Woodson earned his first-career win as a head coach.
• Baylor has won both ends of its last 28 doubleheaders.
• Baylor is 2-0 in the doubles points this season.
• Four players made their Baylor debuts – Charlie Broom, Joseph Chen, Spencer Furman and Nick Stachowiak.
• BU leads the all-time series against Lamar 9-4, and Abilene Christian 15-3.

STAT OF THE MATCH
1 – Interim head coach Michael Woodson earned his first-career win as a head coach.

TOP QUOTE
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
On the doubleheader…
“I think it was fun to see the guys out there competing again. I loved how the young guys came out. Chris [Christopher Frantzen] was super aggressive and very confident out there. Alex [Garcia] played free throughout the match. And, Joseph [Chen] went in at the last minute and did a heck of a job. With the old guys, we got what we expected. I have high hopes and high expectations for the new guys’ Nick [Stachowiak], Spencer [Furman] and Charlie [Broom]. They all delivered and did well.”

Third-year sophomore Adrian Boitan
On playing for the first time in over 10 months…
“It’s quite nice, I missed it a lot. I love to compete. I’m really grateful for our entire athletic department and how much they do in order for us to be able to take the court.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears (2-0) return to Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center on Monday for another doubleheader against SMU. The two matches are set to begin at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.

For the latest news on the Baylor men's tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)