Baylor Baseball: BSB Remains Hot with 14-0 Win Over Prairie View A&M

Rhodes, Zach Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 27 22:14:33 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 27, 2021

Baseball Remains Hot with 14-0 Win Over Prairie View A&M
The Bears completed their sixth shutout of the season
Media Link: https://baylorbea.rs/37RVUDI
For more information contact: Zach Rhodes, 919-247-7585, Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – The Baylor baseball team cruised to a 14-0 shutout win in seven innings against Prairie View A&M on Tuesday night at Baylor Ballpark. The Bears (27-13) swept the season series against the Panthers (10-15).

Baylor continued to dominate in the first inning after putting up four runs. Newcomer Jack Pineda started things with a double and later scored on a wild pitch. Second-year freshman Tre Richardson smacked a double of his own, while later in the inning true freshman Alex Gonzales used an RBI-single to make it 2-0. In the next at-bat, third-year sophomore Chase Wehsener had a two-RBI single to double the lead to 4-0 after one.

Pineda scored on another wild pitch in the second inning and second-year freshman Cade Currington made it 6-0 with a single to right field. Second-year freshman Kyle Nevin followed with another single to score Currington as BU led 7-0.

Later in the fourth, Currington had his second RBI-single of the day to push the advantage to 8-0. Nevin and Gonzales used back-to-back doubles to score two more. Three batters later, Pineda also roped a double to plate two and true freshman Jacob Schoenvogel chopped an infield single to cap the scoring at 13-0.

The Bears scratched across another run in the sixth to push it to 14-0, the eventual final.

BU starter true freshman Cam Caley (1-1) threw three scoreless innings as he earned his first career win. The starter for PVAMU Roberto Maldonado (0-4) was tabbed with the loss.

NOTES
• The Bears completed their sixth shutout of the year.
• Baylor is 20-3 this season at Baylor Ballpark.
• BU has won 14 of its last 17 games.
• Baylor scored double-digit runs for the 11th time this season.
• The Bears are 12-0 all-time against Prairie View after sweeping the season series.
• Caley earned his first career win on the mound.
• True freshman Adam Muirhead made his BU debut as he threw one scoreless frame.
• Nevin and Pineda hit a career-high two doubles apiece.
• Pineda finished the night 3-for-5 with a career-high four runs and two RBI.
• Currington went 2-for-2 with a career-best three runs scored and two RBI.
• Nevin finished 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI.
• Gonzales hit 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.

QUOTE FROM COACH ROD
“We’re carrying a lot of confidence with us right now. Going up to Texas Tech and playing in front of sellout crowds and beating a top 5 team two out of three, is obviously going to give you a lot of confidence. It rolled over really well into today and it’s the double-edge sword right now. Now we get about 10 days off and we’ve got a great rhythm, great timing, our guys are feeling really good and then we’ve got to hit a pause button. The big thing right now for us is to continue to try to stay in shape. We’re going to lift, we’re going to relax, we’re going to get our bodies recovered and then after that we’re going to intrasquad a little bit and then get ready for Kansas State.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears will come back from a 10-day break with a home series against Kansas State May 7-9 at Baylor Ballpark.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Baseball), Twitter (@BaylorBaseball) and Instagram (@BaylorBaseball).

-BaylorBears.com-

Zach Rhodes | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
C: 919-247-7585 | O: 254-710-3784