Baylor Baseball: Thomas’ Complete-Game Shutout Propels BSB to 6-0 Win Over NC A&T

Rhodes, Zach Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu
Thu Apr 1 22:37:10 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 1, 2021

Thomas’ Complete-Game Shutout Propels BSB to 6-0 Win Over NC A&T
It is the first complete-game shutout by a Baylor pitcher since Cody Bradford in 2018
For more information contact: Zach Rhodes, 919-247-7585, Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Tyler Thomas’ complete-game shutout helped Baylor to its 6-0 series-opening victory over North Carolina A&T on Thursday night at Baylor Ballpark. The Bears (15-10) earned their fourth shutout of the year after keeping the Aggies (7-18) off the scoreboard.

Thomas’ (3-2) performance was the first complete-game shutout for a Baylor player since Cody Bradford accomplished the feat back on April 20, 2018 against TCU. The left-hander only allowed four hits and walked three, while striking out eight in his longest-career outing.

The Baylor bats started off hot with four-straight singles to begin the first inning, including a two-RBI single from fifth-year senior Andy Thomas to put the Bears up early. Two batters later, fourth-year junior Davion Downey used a sacrifice fly to make it 3-0 after one.

The Bears kept the offense going in the second after junior Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo started the frame with a single and later in the inning second-year freshman Tre Richardson came up with an RBI-single. Thomas followed up Richardson with another RBI base knock to push the BU advantage to 5-0.

Baylor added a run on a wild pitch to make it 6-0 in the sixth, the eventual final.

NC A&T starter Michael Johnson (0-5) was tabbed with the loss.

NOTES
• Baylor is now 13-2 at Baylor Ballpark.
• BU is 14-5 against non-conference opponents.
• The Bears are 8-3 in night games.
• Fourth shutout of the year for Baylor.
• T. Thomas’ complete-game shutout was the first since Cody Bradford on April 20, 2018 vs. TCU.
• It was T. Thomas’ longest outing of his career (previously 6.2 innings), while coming up one strikeout shy of tying his career high with eight on the night.
• A. Thomas snapped a five-game skid without a hit, after finishing 2-for-3 with three RBI.
• Second-year freshman Jared Mckenzie and Richardson each went 2-for-5.

QUOTE FROM COACH ROD
“Tyler (Thomas) did a phenomenal job for us, it was the first complete-game shutout that he’s had. He was great being able to move the fastball in and out. He struggled with his breaking ball early but was able to find it later on. It’s like I explained to our pitchers the other day ‘the ability to have fastball command is such a powerful thing because now it really does set up the rest of your pitches.’ He just did a great job for us. We have an extra day off this week because of Easter so we extended him a little bit and I was just happy he was able to do what he did tonight.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The two teams will play a doubleheader tomorrow with the first seven-inning game beginning at 2 p.m., followed by a nine-inning contest.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Baseball), Twitter (@BaylorBaseball) and Instagram (@BaylorBaseball).

-BaylorBears.com-

Zach Rhodes | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
C: 919-247-7585 | O: 254-710-3784