Baylor Cross Country Places Third, Fifth at Texas A&M Meet

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Oct 17 13:55:23 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 17, 2020

Baylor Cross Country Places Third, Fifth at Texas A&M Meet
Lily Jacobs led the women’s team in 10th, while Ryan Day paced the men’s team in 15th.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

WACO, Texas – Lily Jacobs placed 10th individually in the women’s 6,000-meter race to lead Baylor to a third-place finish Saturday at the Arturo Barrios Invitational in College Station.

“I thought the ladies did a really good job managing that race,” associate head coach Jon Capron said. “It went out pretty fast. They were able to sit back and let it happen a little bit, range where they were and keep moving.”

Jacobs’ 6K time of 21:15.8 was one of five personal bests by Baylor scoring runners and helped the Bears finish third as a team behind Texas and LSU and ahead of host Texas A&M in fourth. Sarah Antrich finished 14th to help bolster Baylor’s position with a time of 21:27.5, and Celia Holmes was right behind in 15th at 21:29.1. Aaliyah Miller returned to the cross country course and took 18th with a time of 21:50.4, and Mazie Larsen closed out the Bears’ scoring with a time of 21:54.8 to finish 19th.

“Sarah did a nice job running her race and was able to PR,” Capron said. “I was proud of Mazie for figuring it out and moving at the right places. Aaliyah was great to have, too. I’m really proud. Top-to-bottom, those girls ran really hard.”

On the men’s side, Ryan Day led Baylor for the second-consecutive race with a personal-best 8K time of 24:37.2 to place 15th individually. Connor Laktasic finished 17th with a time of 24:47.8, followed by Ryan Hodge with a personal-best 25:01.5 in 27th place. Jeremy Meadows finished 43rd with a time of 25:38.4, and Cal Johnston placed 44th with a personal-best 8K of 25:41.7. The Bears finished in fifth place as a team, ahead of conference foes Texas Tech and TCU.

“The guys raced tough,” Capron said. “Similar story, it went out really quick. Ryan Day ran tough. Ryan Hodge put his best race together in a while. He’s finding his form at the right time. Connor hung in there and did well. Cal did a good job, too.”

With the regular season complete, Baylor will close the fall campaign at the 2020 Big 12 Cross Country Championships Oct. 30 in Lawrence, Kan.

“This race showed us what we’re capable of,” Capron said. “Texas is up there, but there are going to be teams for us in between that we should be pretty confident in racing. Hopefully, we can focus a little bit up front. You can’t count anybody out. We’re going to have to run tough, but it’s nice to know that if we run our race we can stack up. I’m excited to get to the conference meet and get on a tough, fun Rim Rock Farm course and really get after it.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>