Baylor Volleyball: No. 2 VB Sweeps Sooners at Home

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 9 20:38:45 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 9, 2020

No. 2 VB Sweeps Sooners at Home
Pressley tallies 18 kills to lead all players

WACO, Texas – No. 2 Baylor volleyball (5-1) took care of Oklahoma (0-4) Friday night at the Ferrell Center, sweeping the Sooners 25-16, 25-14, 25-16.

BU took advantage of OU’s miscues throughout the match and held the Sooners to just a .030 attack percentage on the night. Senior Yossiana Pressley led all players with 18 kills and junior Shanel Bramschreiber totaled a career-high 20 digs for the Bears.

To start things out, the two sides traded points until a Kara McGhee kill put BU ahead 7-6. A four-point run increased the lead later in the first to 19-11 and a handful of OU errors rounded out the set.

Redshirt-junior Marieke van der Mark put down an ace at 7-4 in the second set, giving the Bears some momentum to build off of. Pressley found her rhythm, cashing in for eight kills on 15 swings, and another van der Mark ace at 23-13 proved to be decisive.

Baylor ran out to a 5-0 lead in the third behind Bramschreiber’s strong serves and a pair of van der Mark kills. The Sooners never recovered, as BU received contributions from up and down the lineup, including three kills by KJ Johnson. Pressley added another six kills in the set as the Bears rolled to their fifth victory of the season and fourth sweep.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS
• With the victory, Baylor’s home win streak increases to 22 matches, dating back to Nov. 16, 2018.
• The Bears extended their win streak to 10 in matches against Oklahoma.
• Of the last 10 meetings with OU, only three have resulted in Baylor sweeps.
• Under sixth-year head coach Ryan McGuyre, the Bears are now 111-5 when leading their opponent in hitting efficiency.
• BU is 105-17 under McGuyre when leading its opponent in kills.
• Yossiana Pressley recorded 18 kills for her fifth-straight double-digit kill performance.
• Pressley is just eight kills behind Katie Sanders for fourth all-time on Baylor’s career kills leaderboard, second in the rally scoring era.
• Shanel Bramschreiber set a career-high with 20 digs, her fourth-consecutive double-digit outing.

STAT OF THE MATCH
.030 – The Bears held the Sooners to just an .030 attack percentage.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On the team building confidence…
“We’ve been training very well. I like how we continue to train and learn. I think that life just has us all struggling a little bit, but that’s something we had talked about as a family. We multiply joy and continue to [build confidence] and tonight I think you saw a lot of celebrating. I feel like today was one of our best steps forward.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (5-1) hits the road for two matches at Texas Tech (3-3) on Oct. 16 and 17 in Lubbock. Both contests are set to begin at 6 p.m. CT and will be shown on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)
O: TBD | C: 254-265-1639

[cid:image001.png at 01D69E7C.2E473440]<http://baylorbears.com/>