No. 14 Baylor Softball Falls Against No. 7 Oklahoma State, 3-2

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 10 16:36:17 CDT 2024

No. 14 Baylor Softball Falls Against No. 7 Oklahoma State, 3-2
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 14 Baylor Softball fell against No. 7 Oklahoma State, 3-2, Saturday afternoon at Getterman Stadium.

THE RUNDOWN
Baylor started out the game strong on Sunday afternoon, working five scoreless innings against the Cowgirls with Aliyah Binford in the circle.

After a 1-2-3 top of the first, Taylor Strain led off the bottom of the inning with an infield single but was thrown out trying to steal second. With two outs, Shaylon Govan singled, but that would be all for the Bears in the first.

With one out in the bottom of the second, Abi Flores walked and Kaci West reached on an error but the two runners would never advance in the second.

Continuing her hot streak, Strain opened up the bottom of the third with a double to right-center field before Govan was walked to put two on with one out. Ana Watson then roped a single to third base which bounced over the bag to bring home Strain for the Bears’ first run of the game.

After allowing the Cowgirls their first hit of the game in the top of the fourth, Binford recorded an inning-ending strikeout to end the threat.

Giving the Bears the 2-0 lead in the bottom of the fifth, Govan blasted a solo shot over the wall in right-center to double the Bears’ lead.

The Cowgrls brought a run home in the top of the sixth to come within a run, but after Sydney Collazos picked a runner off at third base, a ground out ended the scoring threat.

Flores singled in the bottom half of the sixth, but OSU was able to capitalize on a couple timely hits and groundouts, to plate two runs in the top of the seventh and take the 3-2 victory.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Taylor Strain went 2-for-4 at the plate with a double
  *   Shaylon Govan went 2-for-2 with a home run and a walk
  *   Abi Flores went 2-for-2 at the plate with a walk
  *   The Bears out-hit the Cowgirls 7-5
  *   Ana Watson and Govan each accounted for the Bears’ two RBIs
  *   Aliyah Binford pitched a 7.0 inning complete game with six striekouts

QUOTABLE
Shaylon Govan on the outlook for the team …
“It just shows this team has everything that we need to be a top team in the country. He just made sure to tell us to not hang our heads and keep working hard and keep grinding and get back to where we need to be.”

Head Coach Glenn Moore on the game …
“Yeah, you're right. We played well all weekend. I'm very proud of the way the girls played. Played well enough, we could easily be a 3-0 team. Just extremely proud. I know the team that walked off that Oklahoma State bus on Friday has a lot more respect for us now that we showed up and played three games, and I’m very proud of the fact that they fought them.”

UP NEXT
The Bears will host Lamar in a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 12, beginning at 4 p.m. CT.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>