No. 25 Baylor MT Crushes Omaha, 7-0

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 8 18:53:52 CST 2024

No. 25 Baylor MT Crushes Omaha, 7-0
Bears win their second in two days
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis routed Omaha on Friday afternoon at the Hurd Tennis Center, defeating the Mavericks 7-0.

With the win, the Bears improve to 14-3 overall and jump to 10-1 at home.

THE RUNDOWN

Devin Badenhorst and Luc Koenig made short work of Omaha’s second-court pair Ethan Gaubert and Gabe Whiston, notching a quick, 6-0 win. Arman Zamani and Ethan Muza took Court Three, 6-4, handing the Bears the 1-0 advantage.

Muza took care of business in singles as well, securing the first singles point 6-1, 6-1, on Court Five. On court six, Zamani followed up with a 6-3, 6-0 win, and Oskar Brostrom Poulsen clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 victory on Court Three.

Playing out the remaining courts, the Bears’ Marko Miladinović defeated Omaha’s Ethan Gaubert on Court Four, 6-4, 6-0. Badenhorst took Court One in a tiebreaker, 6-3, 7-6(4), and after switching venues to the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center due to a nearby lightning strike, Louis Bowden won sets two and three to claim Court Two 6(4)-7, 6-3, 1-0(4).

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On the match…

“[Omaha] made it close on every court. Those guys didn’t give up and battled, so that made it close in some second sets and pushed Louis [Bowden] to the end there. Especially at the top, I thought those guys were pretty good and fought hard. Some adversity for Devin [Badenhorst] trying to close it out when the storm was on its way, but I thought he did a good job getting off the court. And Louis, having to stop and go inside is not easy and he really played almost flawlessly when we went indoors. I know he probably needed that after yesterday, so it was good to see him build that confidence. I thought the guys did a good job. They look good physically and are gaining confidence.”

On heading to No. 2 TCU on Sunday…

“[The Bears are] feeling pretty good! TCU is a great team, they always are. It’s always a special time to be able to play against your rival, so I know the guys are super excited about the opportunity to play against them. These are the best matches of the year. We’ve been pretty focused on just taking care of the task at hand, but they’re going to rest up and get ready. We’re excited to go tomorrow and start prepping for it. They are one of the best teams in the country for a reason, and we’re jockeying for our position among the best as well.”

UP NEXT

The Bears will head to Fort Worth on Sunday, March 10, to battle second-ranked TCU at noon before returning to the Hurd to take on Cleveland State at 7 p.m.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com –

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F/XC, MTEN, FB)