Baylor WGOLF Set to Open the Spring Season at the Match in the Desert

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Jan 21 13:49:42 CST 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 21, 2024

Baylor WGOLF Set to Open the Spring Season at the Match in the Desert
BU to face two future Big 12 opponents in the five-team shootout
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

GOLD CANYON, Ariz. – Baylor women’s golf returns to action on Monday in a one-day shootout, playing the Match in the Desert at Superstation Mountain Golf Club in Arizona.

Hosted by Kansas, the Match in the Desert features the Jayhawks, Bears, Arizona, Arizona State and UCLA. The event consists of 18 holes of stroke play. Unable to practice because of the wintry weather in Central Texas, head coach Jay Goble looks forward to just seeing his team knock the rust off in the first event since late October.

"This is a warmup to our regular season," he said. "It's a great opportunity for us to get some rounds under our belt against some good competition before we open with our first full event at the T. Hession Regional Challenge in February. Superstition Mountain is a big proponent of amateur golf, particularly women’s golf, and it's home to a few LPGA Tour players, so it's a friendly place for us to start our spring season."

After bursting onto the scene this fall, leading the team in scoring average (73.25), freshman Ashleen Kaur will look to continue that roll on Monday from the No. 1 spot.

Sophomore Silje Ohma will play at the No. 2 spot this week in her first team event since the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational in early October.

Rosie Belsham starts her final semester in green and gold from the No. 3 spot. Owner of the third-best career stroke average in program history, Belsham won her last event at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational.

Yoonjeong Huh will play at No. 4 on Monday. The freshman is coming off the best performance of her young career, shooting three rounds at par or better to finish tied for sixth at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational.

BaiMai Seema will also be in the lineup for the first spring event and will play at No. 5. The junior collected a third-career top-25 finish with a tie for 17th in Hawaii last time out.

Britta Snyder returns to the site of her best round of the 2022-23 season and will play as an individual alongside Mallory Matthews, who is making her third-career start.

Once available, tee times and live scoring will be available through scoreboard.com.<https://scoreboard.clippd.com/tournament-leaderboard/231090/scoring/team>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on X, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)