Baylor Baseball Held Quiet By No. 22 Indiana in 6-1 Loss

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 24 18:07:23 CST 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 24, 2024

Baylor Baseball Held Quiet By No. 22 Indiana in 6-1 Loss
Teplanszky drives in lone run of the day and extends on-base streak to 12 games

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (1-5) was held quiet by No. 22 Indiana on Saturday afternoon, dropping a 6-1 contest to the Hoosiers at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

IU limited the Bears to just four hits on the day, including an RBI single by junior infielder Hunter Teplanszky which produced BU’s lone run of the ballgame.

Indiana’s Connor Foley got the win after throwing six scoreless innings and Ty Bothwell earned his first save of the season. Baylor starter Collin McKinney, a redshirt freshman, was hit with the loss.

THE RUNDOWN
Indiana got things started in the top of the first with an RBI single and added a solo home run in the third to make it 2-0 early. Redshirt junior outfielder Enzo Apodaca notched the Bears’ first hit in the bottom of the third, though BU couldn’t cash in and left two runners on base in back-to-back innings.

In the fourth, another IU solo shot swelled the lead to 3-0 and then back-to-back RBI singles made it 5-0 in the fifth. One more run-scoring base hit increased the Indiana advantage to 6-0 in the top of the seventh, as Foley exited following his quality start.

Baylor got to Bothwell in the bottom of the eighth, as junior catcher Cortlan Castle came around on Teplanszky’s RBI single, though he was left stranded to end the threat.

Both sides went quietly in the ninth, as IU clinched the series victory over the Bears.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor falls to 17-14-1 all-time against Big Ten foes, excluding former Big 12 rival Nebraska.
• The Bears are now 129-131-1 all-time against ranked opponents at home.
• Redshirt junior OF Enzo Apodaca extended his hitting streak to five games with a single in the third inning.
• Apodaca also swiped his first stolen base as a Bear.
• Junior INF Hunter Teplanszky reached base for the 12th game in a row, dating back to last season, with an RBI single in the eighth.
• Freshman LHP Mason Green notched his first multi-strikeout effort out of the bullpen.
• Redshirt junior RHP Andrew Petrowski worked a season-long 1.2 innings of relief.
• Senior LHP Kobe Andrade and senior RHP Grant Golomb both recorded their first scoreless outings of 2024.

STAT OF THE DAY
4 – Baylor was held to just four hits on the day.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On the importance of a win on Sunday…
“[It would be] huge you know, I mean we are fighting for wins for sure. None of our guys are happy about any of this. We’re disappointed that we’re not winning some games. We’re hanging in there, we’re kind of in games but we’ve got to do a better job to put ourselves in the opportunity to actually win. And we didn’t do that today.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (1-5) and No. 22 Indiana (5-1) close out the weekend series on Sunday at Baylor Ballpark with a 1 p.m. first pitch.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)