No. 22 Baylor Softball Falls Against No. 23 Louisiana, 4-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 16 22:42:01 CST 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 16, 2024
No. 22 Baylor Softball Falls Against No. 23 Louisiana, 4-1
Bears’ late rally comes up short
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

LAFAYETTE, La. – No. 22 Baylor Softball fell against No. 23 Louisiana in game one of the three-game series, 4-1, Friday Night at Lamson Park.

THE RUNDOWN
The Bears and Ragin’ Cajuns battled tough through four scoreless frames to start the first game of the three-games series.

After allowing the first Louisiana baserunner aboard in the bottom of the first, Sydney Collazos threw out her second runner in as many games to erase the threat.

Baylor retired Louisiana in order in the second inning, but the Bears struggled offensively as they didn’t have a single runner on base through the first four innings of action.

Starting the fifth inning, Emily Hott reached on a fielding error to account for the Bears’ first baserunner of the night and a sacrifice bunt from Aliyah Binford moved her to second. After Hott was caught stealing third, Collazos had the Bears’ first hit, a double down the third-base line. A groundout ended the Bears’ threat before any runs could come across.

Benefitting off timely hits and an outfield error, the Ragin’ Cajuns brought home their first two runs to start the bottom of the fifth. Leading 2-0, Louisiana’s Alexa Langeliers lifted a two-run home run over the wall in left-center field to give the Ragin’ Cajuns the 4-0 advantage. A diving catch from McKenzie Wilson in centerfield recorded the third out and stopped anymore potential scoring threats.

A two-out double from Wilson would be all for the Bears in the top of the sixth, as they would only have one more chance to make a comeback.

Shaylon Govan started a rally in the top of the seventh with a leadoff single, followed by a single from Hott that put two on and no one out for Binford. After a foul out, Collazos hit into a fielder’s choice to put runner on the corners for Baylor. Pinch-hitter Shannon Vivoda singled to left center, bringing home the Bears’ only run of the game, but a groundout would end the seventh-inning rally short.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Five different Bears recorded a hit
  *   Shannon Vivoda contributed the Bears’ only RBI
  *   Aliyah Binford pitched 4.2 innings with three strikeouts, only issuing one walk
  *   Kaci West pitched 1.1 innings and didn’t allow a hit
  *   Pinch-runner Ashyln Wachtendorf scored the Bears’ lone run
QUOTABLE
Head coach Glenn Moore on the game: "The difference in the game was (Chloe) Riassetto versus our lefthanded hitters. The positive was an incredible pitching performance by (Aliyah) Binford and a great defensive game. The disappointment was our offensive output. We have to make quicker adjustments. We are a heavily left-side lineup, so we will see lefthanded pitching. To be honest, we were inches away from a 1-1 ball game in the seventh with the close play at first, but we have to take control of that and not leave it up to replay. I expect more and so does this team.”
UP NEXT
The Bears Feb. 17 matchup against Louisiana will be postponed and they will now play a doubleheader against the Ragin’ Cajuns on Sunday, Feb. 18, starting at noon.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>