Baylor MT Rolls to 7-0 Sweep of Tulsa

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 11 16:09:18 CST 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 11, 2024

Baylor MT Rolls to 7-0 Sweep of Tulsa
Bears take fifth win at home
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis swept Tulsa, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center. The Bears move to 7-1 on the season with a 5-0 record in Waco before hosting fifth-ranked USC at 5:30 on Monday evening.

THE RUNDOWN

The Bears clinched the doubles point on Sunday afternoon behind wins on Courts One and Two, despite three new doubles pairings from the Hurricane. Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz, mainstays at No. 1, marched to a victory over Alex Okonkwo and Pierce Rollins, a former Texas A&M Aggie, 6-4.

Devin Badenhorst and Luc Koenig collected their fifth doubles win of the season together to clinch the point, as they rolled through Timothy Carlsson Seger and Victor Tosetto, 6-3.

Koenig moved to 4-1 on the season with his win at Court Five, defeating Carlsson Seger in dominant fashion, 6-3, 6-1. Shortly after, 29th-ranked Paroulek held down Okonkwo in his first match at Court Two in 2024, 6-2, 6-2.

Velcz collected his second win at the No. 1 spot this season in clinching fashion, defeating the 2023 Aggie singles wins leader in comeback form, 6-1, 5-7, 7-5.

Finishing out play, No. 107 Badenhorst collected his first win as an ITA ranked player as he unraveled Callum Gale, 6-7(4), 6-1, 6-3 at Court Three. Louis Bowden won his court, coming back twice to win it in straight sets, 7-5, 7-6(7). Finally, Brostrom Poulsen took the win in his fourth three-set singles match of the spring, 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-3.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU has its third 5-0 start at home for the second time in four years under head coach Michael Woodson.
  *   Freshman Devin Badenhorst won his first match as a ranked player in his collegiate career.
  *   Baylor won its sixth doubles point of the season
  *   Devin Badenhorst and Oskar Brostrom Poulsen won their team-leading sixth singles win of the dual-match season.
  *   In doubles, Tadeas Paroulek/Zsombor Velcz and Devin Badenhorst/Luc Koenig both move to 5-1 this spring.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On the match…

“It was an interesting match. In that, we came out and played very well in the doubles, though we were pretty reserved with our energy and enthusiasm. think that allowed Tulsa to come back and get on us a little too much in the singles. They’re a feisty, well-coached team that has improved from last year. As the match wore on, our fitness looked really good. I think we got our teeth into the match on every court. Of course, it helps to have guys like Teddy [Paroulek] and Luc [Koenig] get off the court quickly and put points on the board. To see guys like Zsombor [Velcz] turn his match from the end to win, to see Oskar [Brostrom Poulsen] come from a set break down to end the match, Louis [Bowden] was down a break in both sets to win in two sets, and Devin [Badenhorst] came back and won in three. Anytime you can beat a team like this, 7-0, you’re feeling pretty good. It was an interesting way to get to 7, but we’ll take it all day and get our sights set on USC.”

On the fan’s impact on big matches at home…

“[The fans] make such a big difference for our guys. Not just to have fans in the seats, that’s awesome, but to have an engaged crowd that cheers for the guys and for Baylor. It makes it so much more fun for the fans and so much more fun for the players, and we play better. It’s a typical home-court advantage to have a full, packed house with the opportunity to have fans here in Hawkins right on top of the court. You can make a real difference. So, I would challenge our Baylor family to come out, get loud and make an impact. We need you.”

UP NEXT

The Bears host No. 5 USC on Monday evening at 5:30 p.m. at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center. Fans in attendance can receive a free burger and Valentine’s Day-themed T-shirt, while supplies last.

- BaylorBears.com –

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F/XC, MTEN, FB)