Baylor T&F Closes Michael Johnson Invitational

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 20 18:15:59 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 20, 2024

Baylor T&F Closes Michael Johnson Invitational
Severe weather puts early end to second day of competition
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Inclement weather put an early end to the Baylor track and field team’s regular-season home finale at the Clyde Hart Track and Field Stadium on Saturday afternoon. On the day, the Bears collected four event wins, with one additional collegiate title in the men’s 400 before the weather.

With severe weather moving into the area, the meet was paused before the final 800-meter heat at approximately 4:17 p.m., and then head coach Michael Ford canceled the remainder of the meet at 4:30. The Bears will return to the Clyde Hart Track and Field Stadium for the 2024 Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships on May 9-11.

THE RUNDOWN

Bears took the first two positions in the women’s 100 meters, as Michaela Francois burst out to a 11.42-second mark with a 2.0 m/s wind. Taking the No. 2 spot, Kayla Hunt’s 11.43 (w4.0 m/s) completed the top-2 sweep for BU.

Koi Johnson was the winner of the women’s triple jump competition with a mark of 42-2, backed by a legal wind of 1.8 m/s. Nebraska’s Rhianna Phipps had an identical mark with a 2.6 m/s wind reading for second place. Bella Copeland also competed in the event, crossing with a 38-7 ½ to find the lucky 13th position.

It was the second-straight victory for Hayden Gold in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase, as she defeated the rest of the field behind a 10:59.91, about 15 seconds faster than the silver medalist, Peyton Bornstein of ACU.

The women’s 4x100 meters opened the day strong on the track, giving the Bears their first win of the day. Tiriah Kelley, Imaobong Uko, Alexis Brown and Hunt put down a 44.29-second race to beat the second-place finishing Horned Frogs’ time of 44.44.

Finishing second only to Nic Baker, Tokyo Olympian in the mixed 4x400-meter relay, Demar Francis claimed the collegiate win in the men’s 400 meters with a time of 46.59, ahead of former Bear Wil London III.

De’montray Callis was third overall in the men’s 100 meters, but also took the top collegiate finishing spot. Great Britain’s Romell Glave and AthleticsTX’s Josephus Lyles took the Nos. 1 and 2 spots ahead of Callis’ 10.25 (w3.3 m/s). Laurenz Colert also stayed near the top at No. 12 with a 10.54-second race.

Ricquan Graham, Laurenz Colbert, Kamden Jackson and Callis to the second-overall spot in the men’s 4x100-meter relay at 40.31 seconds. TCU’s 40.29 claimed the top spot for the first men’s race of the day.

After his senior day recognition, Ukurugenzi Kojo jumped to 6-9 in the men’s high jump for fourth place, crossing three Bears. His clearances at 6-7 and 6-9 were both on the third and final attempt.

Ellie Hodge was third in the last completed race of the 2024 Michael Johnson Invitational, crossing at 2:14.06 behind conference foes from TCU and Texas Tech. From what was completed in the men’s race, Ethan Wrase had the top spot for a Bear at 25th.

In a shot put that was only completed in five attempts, Makayla Long was the fifth-place finisher at 50-11. The finals field of nine had one attempt remaining before the storm called the meet. The men’s competition that was scheduled to follow the women’s event did not begin.

Junior Summer Sergeant was 23rd in the very first open 400-meter race of her college career at 56.70, leading Kourtney Kennard in 39th and Audrey Williamson in 42nd.

QUOTABLE

Head Coach Michael Ford

On canceling the meet

“We thought [the weather] would come in around 4:30 or 5 o’clock, I wasn’t sure about the lightning. I don’t play around with the lightning. I don’t like delays, honestly, with the kids warming up, then cooling down, then warming back up. I worry about that. We just said we were going to go ahead and call it. I think there’s going to be a pocket where the weather should be getting a little better, but it’s late in the season, we don’t need any injuries.”

On the Saturday’s meet…

“Well, the women’s 4x1, we made a switch, we took Michaela Francois off and put Kayla Hunt on there, just to see a little difference. We might make a little change next week again on that relay. But I thought Demar Francis ran well in the quarter, he didn’t really have anybody with him. Koi [Johnson] did well in the triple jump, and that was probably the event I was most concerned about, with the board being wet, but she handled it really well. Overall, our kids competed really well. It could be like this at Big 12s, it could be like this especially at nationals, in Oregon. I thought the 100s went well, too. Overall, I just thought we competed really well today.”

UP NEXT

The Bears have one final meet in Arizona, the Desert Heat Classic on April 27, before the 2024 championship season begins at home with the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (WBB, T&F/XC, MTEN)