Baylor WGOLF Set for Big 12 Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:33:29 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS- April 17, 2024

Baylor WGOLF Set for Big 12 Championship
BU returns to the site of its second-place finish in 2022
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HOCKLEY, Texas — Fourth-seeded Baylor women’s golf aims for a second Big 12 Championship, beginning Thursday morning when the Bears tee it up at the Clubs at Houston Oaks.

BU tied for second the last time the championship was contested in Hockley and enters this tournament feeling as good as they have all season, rising 23 spots in the rankings over the last month.

“I feel like we're in a good place heading to Houston Oaks,” head coach Jay Goble said. “It's a course we played very well two years ago. I think our team has really been moving in the right direction in the last month or so. We played well at Arizona State and then again at Dallas Athletic Club last week. I really believe that everyone’s game is peaking at the right time.”

Rosie Belsham earned Big 12 All-Tournament team honors at Houston Oaks in 2022 and will play at No. 1 this week. The senior feels right at home on a course that resembles BU’s home course, Ridgewood Country Club in Waco.

“With it being like Ridgewood, it really plays into our favor,” she said. “If you've got a tough shot or something, you can think about the good ones you've hit at Ridgewood and draw off that. It helps you feel like you've played it before, even if you haven't. I think I’m the only one to have played Big 12’s there, but a few more of us have played there, and with it being like Ridgewood, I think it gives us a lot more experience than other teams would.”

Houston, Texas, native Ashleen Kaur will play at No. 2 this week. The freshman has plenty of experience on this golf course and leads the team, making birdie or better 20.1% of the time this season.

Sera Hasegawa has been playing very well as of late, recording three-straight top-10 finishes, and will tee it up at No. 3 at Houston Oaks. Hasegawa ranks second on the team in par-or-better percentage at 80.4% on 414 holes this season.

BaiMai Seema has been a fixture in the lineup over the last three events and will play at No. 4 this week. Entering this season, Seema had two-career top-25 finishes but has already carded three this season.

Silje Ohma will play at No. 5 this week after earning Big 12 All-Tournament team honors in 2023 at Dallas Athletic Club.

Yoonjeong Huh will serve as Baylor’s alternate at the Big 12 Championship. The freshman has made seven starts this season and is coming off a tie for 14th at the Veritex Bank Texas Showdown.

Once available, complete pairings, scores and stats can be found at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28825> The final round will be streamed live on ESPN+ on Saturday.

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on X, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)