No. 21 Baylor Softball’s West Walks Off Texas Tech, 2-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 6 17:09:37 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – APRIL 6, 2024
No. 21 Baylor Softball’s West Walks Off Texas Tech, 2-1
Bears record third walk-off win of the season
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor Softball walked off Texas Tech, 2-1, Saturday afternoon at Getterman Stadium to even the series against the Red Raiders.
THE RUNDOWN
The Bears got off to a strong start today, sitting the Red Raiders down in order in the top of the first with a strikeout from RyLee Crandall for the third out.

With Emily Hott leading off the bottom of the first, the left fielder launched a homer over the wall in right field to put the Bears on top 1-0.

Shaylon Govan and Leah Cran each recorded singles in the next two innings, but Baylor wasn’t able to bring any more runs across as they held TTU scoreless through six.

Texas Tech threatened in the top of the fourth after they got the leadoff batter on with a double to right field. A follow-up single had the runner coming home from second, but a perfect throw from centerfielder Ashlyn Wachtendorf to catcher Sydney Collazos tagged the runner out to keep the Red Raiders off the board.

After allowing two more TTU baserunners in the fifth and sixth innings, the Red Raiders capitalized with a solo shot in the seventh to tie the game 1-1.

The Bears wanted to stay away from extra innings as Collazos hit a leadoff single in the bottom of the seventh to get the Bears’ rally going. After a sacrifice bunt from Presleigh Pilon had pinch-runner Caroline Rowatt standing on second, Cran was then intentionally walked to put runners on first and second with two outs. Kaci West stepped up to the plate and roped a single up the middle, allowing Rowatt to score from second and giving the Bears the walk-off win.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Kaci West secured the Bears’ third walk-off win of the season with a single in the bottom of the seventh
  *   Emily Hott hit her seventh home run of the season
  *   Leah Cran recorded the Bears’ only multi-hit performance with two singles
  *   Six Bears combined for seven hits
  *   The Bears out-hit the Red Raiders, 7-5
  *   RyLee Crandall improved to 10-5 on the season, with a complete-game pitching performance and four strikeouts
  *   The Bears didn’t strikeout in any of their 23 plate appearances
  *   BU snaps a two-game losing streak
  *   Baylor evens the series against the Red Raiders, 1-1

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Glenn Moore on not getting down in the game …
“I complimented them on that because we’ve lost six games in the last inning, and five of those were Big 12 games. It would put us in a whole different situation if we had been able to hang on. When the home run is hit, human nature says, here we go again. To have something left in the tank shows their maturity and obviously that they’re not throwing the towel in, and they can still win games. We’ve been preaching to them that the tide is going to turn, the fact that we’ve played a harder schedule than anybody else is going to work in our favor eventually. Not that it’s going to happen because of one game, but at some point in time it’s got to work in our favor. Hopefully, today was the start of that.”

Kaci West on what this win means …
“It means that we’re competing and fighting for every single pitch and finishing the game now. I’m just really proud of this team because we fought until the very last pitch.”

UP NEXT
The Bears will face Texas Tech for game three of the series on Sunday, April 6, at 1 p.m. at Getterman Stadium.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>