No. 7 Baylor Equestrian Falls to No. 4 Texas A&M, 16-3

Smith, Kalie Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 29 19:34:45 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 29, 2023

No. 7 Baylor Equestrian Falls to No. 4 Texas A&M, 16-3
Bears struggle in Jumping Seat before strong showing from new faces in Reining
For more information contact: Kalie Smith, 409-351-0790, Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu<mailto:Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – No. 7 Baylor (0-1) dropped its season opener to No. 4 Texas A&M (1-0) 16-3 on Friday afternoon at the Hildebrand Equine Complex in College Station.

After a tough first half in which the Bears only scored one point, Reiners managed to tie the event. Big Jumping Seat scores from the Aggies proved too difficult to overcome.

BU needed a comeback early after A&M took Fences 5-0. Elsie Naruszewicz scratched Baylor’s first point on the board in Horsemanship. Naruszewicz was named the Most Outstanding Performer after scoring a 75 on Rosie.

Despite a strong ride from Madison Mitchell (92), the Bears dropped Flat 5-0.   BU Reiners fought back to tie the event 2-2. All five riders made their first career start in today’s meet. Senior Emily Moomaw (69) and sophomore Rylee Butler (72) tallied their first career points.

NOTABLES

  *   Baylor is now 3-4 all-time in season openers under seventh-year head coach Casie Maxwell.
  *   BU Reining started five first-time starters.
  *   Sophomore Lauren Reid scored a career-high 88 in Flat.
  *   Naruszewicz (Horsemanship) picked up her first MOP honor of the season with a score of 75.
  *   Butler (Reining) scored her first career point.
  *   Moomaw (Reining) scored her first career point.

STAT OF THE MEET
6- Six Bears made their collegiate debut, including sophomore Rylee Butler, freshman Riley Cachat, senior Emily Moomaw, freshman Sadie Peters, sophomore Kalena Reynolds and sophomore Caroline Robelen.

TOP QUOTES
Head Coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“There’s nowhere to go but uphill from here. That’s what we have to tell the team. We have one of two ways we can go with this. We can stay here and stay this team. We are not this caliber of a team that we were here today. Or we can come out next weekend swinging like the team that we are and the team that we’re capable of being. That’s going to be my challenge to them over the next four days. They throw this one over their shoulder to have a new day on Monday and a new meet next Friday. That’s all you can do is move forward and put this one behind you.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 7 Baylor (0-1) welcomes No. 2 Auburn (1-0) to Willis Family Equestrian Center for a 11 a.m. matchup on Friday, Oct. 6.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

-BaylorBears.com-

Kalie Smith | Communications Coordinator (Equestrian)