Baylor Soccer Falls to No. 6 BYU, 4-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Sep 21 22:54:54 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 21, 2023

Baylor Soccer Falls to No. 6 BYU, 4-0
Bears will face No. 25 Texas Tech on Sunday

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer fell against No. 6 BYU, 4-0, Thursday night at Betty Lou Mays Field.

BYU dominated most of the first half, scoring two goals in the first 21 minutes before notching their third goal on a penalty kick in the 45th minute.

Salma Simonin had the Bears only good look in the first half, when her shot was saved by the BYU goalkeeper and bounced off the top crossbar.

Following halftime, Baylor doubled its chances with six shots, Tyler Isgrig putting two of those on frame. With back-to-back corners in the 56th minute, BU tried to find the back of the net but BYU stopped the Bears to keep the shutout.

The Cougars found their fourth and final goal in the 77th minute.

Hannah Boughton and Hannah Augustyn each put shots on goal in the final 10 minutes but ultimately weren’t able to come away with a goal.

Baylor’s goalkeeper, Makinzie Short made seven saves, six of them coming during the first half, limiting the Cougars to just one shot on goal in the second half.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU had six players combine for 11 shots
  *   Tyler Isgrig led the way with three, followed by Hannah Augustyn with two
  *   Salma Simonin played a career-high 58 minutes
  *   Hallie Augustyn, Hannah Augustyn and Blythe Obar all played the full 90 minutes
  *   Reneta Vargas played her first minutes of the season

QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“It gives us an idea, like I said earlier, of where the standard is. And we need to know that. So, we knew going in, we weren’t going to be where they are yet. Our goal is to minimize the difference, continue to grow and learn from each game. We’ve got to be stronger on the ball. We’ve got to do better in our one-v-one defending situations and in our decision-making around the edge of the 18 (box). We’re impatient because we want to get shots, we want to try to find ways to score and we’re wasting opportunities with some of these shots from too far out. And that’s just a team that wants to put a shot on the board, but I want to put a goal in the back of the net, not just a shot on the board. So, we need better decision-making there.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will host No. 25 Texas Tech on Sunday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m. at Betty Lou Mays Field.
- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>