No. 12 Baylor WGOLF Finishes Sixth on Day One at The Annika Intercollegiate

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Mon Sep 11 19:04:37 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 11, 2023

No. 12 Baylor WGOLF Finishes Sixth on Day One at The Annika Intercollegiate
BU’s Ashleen Kaur makes six birdies in collegiate debut
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

LAKE ELMO, Minn. – Baylor freshman Ashleen Kaur performed well in her first collegiate event, finishing with a 4-under 68, helping Baylor to sixth place on Monday in the Annika Intercollegiate at Royal Golf Club.

In addition to Kaur’s 68, BU senior Rosie Belsham carded a 2-under 70 to lead the Bears to a 2-under 286 team score on day one.

South Carolina currently leads the tournament at 15-under 273, four shots clear of defending national champion Wake Forest and San Jose State. South Carolina’s Louise Rydqvist finished round one as the top individual at 6-under, three shots clear of Kaur.

THE RUNDOWN
Starting on the back nine, Kaur opened with a bogey at No. 10 and added two more at Nos. 15 and 18 for a bogey-free back nine. She made the turn with a pair of birdies at Nos. 1 and 2, before her first bogey of the day came at No. 7, her 16th hole of the day. After a birdie at No. 8, she closed with a bogey at No. 9.

Belsham opened with a couple of quick bogeys at Nos. 11 and 12, but got back under par on her opening nine with birdies at Nos. 13, 15 and 18. She opened her second nine with a double bogey at No. 1 but got it right back with an eagle at the Par-5 2nd. A bogey at No. 5 offset a birdie at No. 4, but Belsham closed strong with a birdie on her final hole of the day at No. 9 to finish Monday in a tie for 12th.

Sera Hasegawa shot a 2-over 74 on Monday to finish the day in a tie for 43rd. The junior opened with a bogey at No. 10, but took a stroke back with a birdie at No. 14. Following a bogey at No. 17, Hasegawa made the turn and double-bogeyed No. 1 to drop to 3-over for the round. A bogey at No. 7 offset a birdie at No. 6, but she closed out the round with a birdie at No. 9.

BaiMai Seema also shot a 2-over 74 to sit in a tie for 43rd after round one. The junior made a quick bogey at No. 11 but bounced back quickly with birdies at Nos. 15, 17 and 18 to close out her opening nine. A double-bogey seven cost her two shots at No. 2, and she dropped two more at Nos. 6 and 9 to close out the day.

Silje Ohma finished tied for 50th with 3-over 75 on Monday. The sophomore got off to a steady start with four straight pars, but was derailed by a triple-bogey seven at No. 14. She rebounded with a birdie before closing the back nine with a bogey. She played the front nine at even par with a pair of birdies at Nos. 4 and 6 and a pair of bogeys at Nos. 5 and 7.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Ashleen Kaur led the field in par-4 scoring (3.60).
  *   Kaur’s six birdies tied for the second most in the field on Monday.
  *   Rosie Belsham led the field in par-5 scoring average (4.00).
  *   Belsham was one of just four players to card an eagle in Round One.

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble: “It’s always a mixed bag when you get started during the year. Most of these players on our team haven’t played competitive golf in a month and a half, so being able to go out and score your ball is kind of tough sometimes, but I thought everybody played really well. I think all of them would tell you they just left a couple of shots out there, even Ashleen and Rosie, who led us and played well.”

Goble on Kaur’s 68: “I walked with her all day and she felt great about her game. We went through our yardages and our process really well all day. She obviously won the Annika Junior in January, so she’s super excited to be here and playing well.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play in the second round on Tuesday morning alongside Texas A&M and Oregon beginning at 9:30 a.m. CT. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)