Baylor Soccer Takes Down Butler, 2-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 3 15:26:05 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 3, 2023

Baylor Soccer Takes Down Butler, 2-0
Zinnecker, Augustyn record goals

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Baylor soccer took down Butler, 2-0, Sunday afternoon at Bud and Jackie Sellick Bowl.

The Bears started the game strong with Skylar Zinnecker netting her second goal of the season in the 19th minute for the early 1-0 lead. Jenna Patterson picked up the assist on Zinnecker’s goal, her second of the season.

Just 15 minutes later, sophomore Hallie Augustyn found her first goal of the season with a double assist from Tyler Isgrig and Natalie Vatter.

With the Bears up 2-0, Hannah Boughton got another shot off before halftime but wasn’t able to find the back of the net.

First-half goalkeeper Ashlee Zirkel only faced five shots in the first half, making two saves.

The Bears’ lone second-half shot came off the boot of Boughton in the 57th minute, but the Butler goalkeeper was able to come up with the save.

Makinzie Short was in goal for the second half of the match, facing 11 shots and making two saves. The pair of goalkeepers picked up the combined 2-0 shutout.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears had 15 players see action
  *   Hallie Augustyn notched her second career goal, the first of her 2023 campaign
  *   Skylar Zinnecker netted her second goal of the season
  *   Natalie Vatter, Jenna Patterson and Tyler Isgrig all picked up an assist
  *   BU records its third shutout of the season
  *   Baylor took eight corner kicks
  *   Zinnecker and Boughton both led the game in shots with two apiece
  *   The Bears are now 2-0 all-time against Butler
QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Happy to be heading home after another win on the road! We continue to build each week and I am really happy with the progress we have made already. The team continues to build chemistry and grow in confidence. We continue to get goal contributions from several different players and that is important for us as we prepare for the upcoming conference schedule. Excited to be home for a few weeks!”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will start a six-game homestand at Betty Lou Mays Field that will begin with a matchup against SMU on Thursday, Sept. 7, at 7 p.m. CT.
- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>