Baylor Soccer Records Draw Against Cincinnati, 2-2

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 12 23:02:48 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 12, 2023

Baylor Soccer Records Draw Against Cincinnati, 2-2
Bears remain undefeated in their last five matches

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer recorded a draw against Cincinnati, 2-2, Thursday night at Betty Lou Mays Field.

The Bears fell behind early, as the Bearcats were able to net their first goal in the 14th minute. Cincinnati then accounted for the next two shots, but BU’s Jenna Patterson put the first ball she touched in three matches on frame for the Bears’ first chance.

Baylor controlled much of the offensive threat following the Bearcats’ goal, allowing CIncinnati just one shot on goal for the remaining 31 minutes of the first half.

Baylor wasn’t going to let the Bearcats take the lead into halftime and was able to find the equalizer in the 45th minute. Off of an assist from Skylar Zinnecker, Ashley Merrill netted her ninth goal of the season to knot the game at the half.

The Bears’ first chance in the second half came off the boot of Tyler Isgrig, who lined up a shot in the 64th minute, but the UC goalkeeper came up with the save.

Baylor took its first lead of the night, when senior Jenna Patterson connected with freshman Callie Conrad, who put the ball in the back of the net in the 70th minute. Finding her second goal of the season, Conrad put the bears up 2-1, which would carry them until Cincinnati’s tying goal in the 86th minute.

Not satisfied with the tie, BU’s Skylar Zinnecker lined up a perfect shot after and had the UC goalkeeper away from the goal, but a Bearcat defender stopped the ball from fully crossing the goal line and made the stop.

With the tie tonight, the Bears are on a five-game unbeaten streak, dating back to Sept. 28.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears ended the game with 18 shots from nine different Bears
  *   BU’s 18 shots ties for third-most in a single game this season
  *   Ashley Merrill’s ninth goal this season is the most by a single player since Julie James and Camryn Wendlandt each had 10 during the 2018 season.
  *   Callie Conrad netted her second goal of the season
  *   Tyler Isgrig created the most chances with five shots, two on goal
  *   Skylar Zinnecker and Conrad each had three shots, as Ashley Merrill followed with two
  *   Four Bears played the full 90 minutes
  *   The Bears are on a five-game unbeaten streak

QUOTABLE
Head coach Michelle Lenard on the game …
“I felt like we did not deserve to tie that game. Felt like we deserved to win. Had the better of play in the second half. But they’re a dangerous counter attacking team that’s good on set plays. And we knew that going in, and we gave up two goals on set plays. So, that’s very frustrating. Feel really disappointed for the girls because yeah, I’d like us to defend better in those situations. But I don’t think we had to give the opponent a free chance.”

Ashley Merrill on her first-half goal …

“I think we were knocking on the door the whole time. The last 20 minutes, knew it was coming. I think we needed it to switch the momentum in our favor. I think it did. Even right after the goal, we had the momentum the rest of the half and even going into the second half. It shifted the momentum to us rather than them.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will head north on I-35 to face TCU on Sunday, Oct. 15, at 1 p.m. CT.
- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>