Baylor Baseball Edged by TCU at Globe Life Field

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat May 13 23:21:39 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 13, 2023

Baylor Baseball Edged by TCU at Globe Life Field
Bears drop 2-1 contest despite strong outings on the mound

ARLINGTON, Texas – Baylor baseball (16-34, 6-17) fell 2-1 to TCU (29-21, 10-10) on Saturday night at Globe Life Field in Arlington.

Three Bears combined to hold the Horned Frogs to just two runs on six hits, including sophomore RHP Mason Marriott, junior RHP Grant Golomb and junior RHP Hambleton Oliver. However, BU could only muster four hits of its own, including two by sophomore C Cortlan Castle, in the pitcher’s duel.

With the loss, Baylor was officially eliminated from Big 12 Tournament contention for the first time in program history.

THE RUNDOWN
Marriott began his outing with a 1-2-3 frame, but was tagged for two runs in the second after allowing a walk and hit-by-pitch to start the inning. A sacrifice fly and RBI single accounted for the TCU runs.

That’s all the Frogs would get, as Marriott settled down to throw the next two innings scoreless before handing the ball off to Golomb with two away in the fifth. The junior from nearby Southlake, Texas, recorded a big strikeout to strand a TCU runner on third to end the inning.

Baylor notched its first hit in the top of the fifth, a single by Castle, but didn’t threaten to score until the seventh when junior OF Hunter Simmons was chased in by consecutive groundouts after hitting a ground-rule double.

In the eighth, a pair of walks had BU in business and an intentional walk loaded the bases with two outs, but an inning-ending groundout squandered the threat.

In the bottom half, Oliver came on with two runners aboard and nobody out, but with just five pitches he recorded three outs as a caught stealing and lineout double play held off the Horned Frogs.

Baylor couldn’t get to TCU’s closer in the ninth, as he struck out the side to finish the ballgame.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Sophomore C Cortlan Castle extended his on-base streak to 14 games with his 10th multi-hit game of the year.
• Junior RHP Hambleton Oliver pitched his eighth scoreless outing of 2023.
• Junior RHP Grant Golomb worked his seventh scoreless appearance of the season.

STAT OF THE DAY
14 – Sophomore C Cortlan Castle reached base for the 14th-consecutive game after a two-hit performance.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s game…
“Tough one today. I thought we pitched really well. I thought Mason Marriott threw the ball well too. I thought the way that we gave up our two runs was us gift-wrapping the two runs for them. Grant [Golomb] was good and Hambleton [Oliver] was good. Our pitchers gave us every opportunity to be in the game and win it, so disappointed we couldn’t get it done.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (16-34, 6-17) and TCU (29-21, 10-10) return to Lupton Stadium in Fort Worth for the series finale on Sunday, May 14, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)