Baylor Baseball Falls in Opener at TCU, 5-1

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri May 12 19:46:31 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 12, 2023

Baylor Baseball Falls in Opener at TCU, 5-1
Bullpen combines for five innings of one-run baseball in the loss

FORT WORTH, Texas – Baylor baseball (16-33, 6-16) dropped its series opener at TCU (28-21, 9-10) Friday afternoon at Lupton Stadium in Fort Worth by a final of 5-1.

BU’s bullpen combined to throw five innings of one-run baseball to keep the Bears in it, but the offense could only muster one run on four hits.

Redshirt freshman INF Jack Johnson had the lone RBI for the Bears with a pinch-hit sacrifice fly to score sophomore C Cortlan Castle. Junior RHP Brett Garcia worked 2.1 scoreless innings before handing it off to freshman southpaw Ethan Calder for the final 1.2 frames without allowing a run.

THE RUNDOWN
The Horned Frogs hopped out to a quick 5-0 lead through the first four innings with a sacrifice fly in the first, a pair of RBI doubles in the second, an RBI groundout in the third and a solo home run in the fourth.

That’s all they would get, as junior RHP Anderson Needham combined with Garcia and Calder to allow just three hits the rest of the way while striking out four.

Baylor’s biggest threat came in the top of the seventh after back-to-back singles by Castle and junior RHP/OF Cole Tremain. A wild pitch allowed both Bears to advance 90 feet ahead of Johnson’s sacrifice fly that got BU on the board.

In the eighth, Baylor stranded a pair of runners in scoring position, increasing its total to seven left on base on the day, then went down in order in the ninth to end the ballgame.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Sophomore C Cortlan Castle extended his on-base streak to 13 games.
• Junior RHP/OF Cole Tremain reached base for the sixth-consecutive game.
• Sophomore 1B John Ceccoli reached base for the fifth-consecutive game.
• Junior RHP Brett Garcia worked his sixth appearance of at least two innings.
• Freshman LHP Ethan Calder pitched his seventh scoreless outing of the season, including his third in a row and fourth in his last five appearances.

STAT OF THE DAY
5 – Baylor’s bullpen of junior RHP Anderson Needham, junior RHP Brett Garcia and freshman LHP Ethan Calder combined to throw five innings of one-run baseball.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On today’s game…
“I thought our bullpen did a great job at keeping us in the game. When you’re down 5-0, to end the game 5-1 was big. They gave us a chance to come back. But, offensively we’ve got to get something going. It’s frustrating, and our guys are disappointed about it too. We had an opportunity to get it done today, but we’re going to have to find it by tomorrow.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (16-33, 6-16) and TCU (28-21, 9-10) will head to Globe Life Field in Arlington on Saturday night for the second game of the weekend series, with first pitch set for 7 p.m. at the home of the Texas Rangers.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)