Baylor Baseball Drops Midweek Contest to Lamar, 9-2

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Wed May 10 22:44:49 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 10, 2023

Baylor Baseball Drops Midweek Contest to Lamar, 9-2
Matheson works season-high five innings with six strikeouts in the defeat

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (16-32) fell to Lamar (28-20) on Wednesday night at Baylor Ballpark in Waco by a final of 9-2.

Junior RHP Jared Matheson worked a season-long five innings and struck out a personal-best six batters in his no decision. The Cardinals scored eight runs, including six unearned, over the last three frames to claim the victory.

Sophomore C Cortlan Castle extended his team-leading on-base streak to 12 games, while junior OF Hunter Simmons and redshirt freshman OF Gavin Brzozowski each picked up a pair of hits on the night.

THE RUNDOWN
Though Lamar plated the game’s first run in the top of the first inning, Matheson was able to settle in and work effectively over the next four frames before handing the ball off to the bullpen.

After junior righty Adam Muirhead pitched a clean top of the sixth, BU got on the board thanks to Brzozowski’s RBI single in the home half that knotted things at 1-1.

A two-run single put LU back in front in the seventh and a sacrifice fly made it 4-1 in the eighth before Castle’s run-scoring knock in the bottom half cut in to the deficit. The Bears would strand runners on the corners as Lamar escaped further damage heading to the ninth.

That’s when the Cardinals took advantage of some Baylor miscues and scored five runs on three hits, two walks and an error to put the game out of reach.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Junior RHP Jared Matheson set season highs with five innings pitched and six strikeouts.
• Sophomore C Cortlan Castle reached base for the 12th game in a row, a team high.
• Junior OF Hunter Simmons extended his on-base streak to seven games with his 13th multi-hit game of the year.
• Redshirt freshman OF Gavin Brzozowski tallied his seventh multi-hit effort of the season.
• Junior RHP/OF Cole Tremain extended his on-base streak to five games.

STAT OF THE DAY
6 – Jared Matheson fanned a season-high six batters in the loss.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On Jared Matheson’s performance…
“It was good to see him go out there and keep us in the game. I think he pitched well, especially after giving up that run in the first. He got us through five innings, it was a one-one game through six, and it just kind of got away from us there especially when we opened the door and couldn’t get there. We didn’t take advantage of the outs that we ought to be getting.”

On heading into the weekend against TCU…
“At least by playing these two games, we got two games under our belt. Got our timing back a little at the plate. Our pitchers got back out there on the mound, and we didn’t over-tax anybody. If we go up there [to Fort Worth] and we swing the bat well, we’ll see if [these two games] helped. These were two losses and they hurt, we don’t ever want to lose, but we did keep everybody fresh. We got everybody out there and hopefully it helps us perform a little better this weekend.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (16-32, 6-15) heads to Fort Worth for an important Big 12 series against TCU (27-21, 8-10), beginning Friday, May 12, at 6:30 p.m. at Lupton Stadium.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)