No. 20 Baylor Softball Clinches Series with 5-2 Win Over No. 5 Texas

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat May 6 23:05:05 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 6, 2023

No. 20 Baylor Softball Clinches Series with 5-2 Win Over No. 5 Texas
Bears pick up their fifth win over a top-5 team this season

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas - No. 20 Baylor Softball secured the series over No. 5 Texas, defeating the Longhorns 5-2 Saturday night at Getterman Stadium.

The Bears, now 38-15 on the season and 7-10 in conference play, pick up their fifth win over a top-5 team this season.

THE RUNDOWN

The Bears came out swinging in game two of the three-game series, putting up two runs in the bottom of the first inning after shutting down Texas in the top half of the inning. After BU walked the first Longhorn of the game, a double play and strikeout from starting pitcher Kaci West sat UT down in order.

McKenzie Wilson led off the bottom half of the first, reaching on an error and stealing second base. After a sacrifice bunt from Emily Hott moved Wilson to third, Shaylon Govan was walked to put runners on the corners. Wilson then came home to score on a wild pitch before another walk was issued. With two on, Amber Toven singled up the middle to bring the Bears’ second run of the inning home.

The Baylor defense worked out of a jam in the second inning, as Baylor was able to tack on a run in the bottom of third.

Hott was walked to lead off the third, before Govan singled and Sydney Collazos laid down a sacrifice bunt to put runners in scoring position. Josie Bower drove a single to left field, scoring Hott and giving BU the 3-0 lead.

Texas got a run across in the top of the fourth to cut the Bears’ lead by one, but the Bears were able to keep the 3-1 advantage after working out of a jam in the top of the fifth.

Baylor added some insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, after back-to-back singles from Toven and Kaci West put two on for Taylor Strain who moved them over with a sacrifice bunt. Presleigh Pilon then laced a single up the middle, bringing home both runs to give Baylor the 5-1 lead. The Bears reloaded the bases after back-to-back walks were issued, but a strikeout ended the threat.

Texas got a run back in the top of the seventh, but the Bears secured the 5-2 series victory when a pop-up to second base ended the game.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor secures its fifth top-5 win this season
  *   Amber Toven recorded two hits, collecting an RBI and drawing a walk
  *   Presleigh Pilon had a team leading two RBIs
  *   This marks the second time this season the Bears have notched back-to-back wins over a top-5 team
  *   Seven Bears reached base in the matchup
  *   Kaci West pitched six innings and improved to 8-3 on the season
  *   RyLee Crandall closed out the game, pitching one inning
  *   Shaylon Govan is now at 43 walks on the season, good for second all-time at Baylor
  *   Five different Bears recorded a hit

QUOTABLE

Head coach Glenn Moore on the pitching performance: “Kaci West pretty much did what RyLee Crandall did (Friday night). She was locating the ball really well. She had enough movement, and she was throwing with pretty good velocity that was deceiving. She’s that small and throwing 66 and 67 mph a few times, that’s big-time speed for a little kid like that. She’s got a heart the size of Texas and she competes. I think everyone plays at a different level when they see her competing like that.”

Sophomore shortstop Amber Toven: “As far as the team, I think they did amazing. I think they strung together a lot of hits. Coach (Moore) was talking a lot about get them on, get them over, get them in so that was kind of our mindset coming into this game. We already faced all the pitchers and so there was a lot of confidence.”

Sophomore pitcher Kaci West on what was working for her: “Honestly just trusting the defense behind me because they played amazing tonight. There were some spectacular plays out there. I only had one strikeout so again that’s a defensive game and they were making some amazing plays behind me.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will close out the series Sunday, May 7 at 1 p.m. at Getterman Stadium.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>