No. 21 Baylor Softball Falls in Series Opener Against Kansas, 2-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 31 22:43:50 CDT 2023

No. 21 Baylor Softball Falls in Series Opener Against Kansas, 2-1
Bears out-hit the Jayhawks in the loss

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor Softball fell against Kansas, 2-1, Friday night at Getterman Stadium in the series opener.

The Bears, now 25-9 on the season, out-hit the Jayhawks in the matchup but left 10 on base and weren’t able to come away with timely hits.

Taylor Strain’s two-out double cut Kansas’ lead in half in the sixth inning, but that would be the only run to come across for the Bears.

THE RUNDOWN

The Bears started the game strong, with a leadoff single from McKenzie Wilson, a sacrifice bunt and back-to-back walks that loaded the bases. But Wilson was thrown out at home on a fielder’s choice back to the pitcher, and then a strikeout ended the threat.

Falling behind early, the Bears allowed a Jayhawk run to come home in the second and third innings. The first Kansas run came after a double to right-center and the second came off of a single up the middle.

Starting pitcher Dariana Orme shut down Kansas in the next two innings, going three-up, three-down in both, before a leadoff walk in the top of the sixth was erased by a double play.

Baylor scored its lone run in the bottom of the sixth, when Josie Bower led off the inning by reaching second after the Kansas centerfielder dropped a pop-up in shallow center field. A sacrifice bunt moved Ana Watson as the pinch-runner over to third, and then Strain doubled down the right-field line to bring home the run and cut the deficit to 2-1.

Wilson was intentionally walked in the sixth with the tying run in scoring position, but a groundout ended the Bears’ threat.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   McKenzie Wilson was the only batter to record multiple hits, going 2-for-3 at the plate
  *   Shaylon Govan, Sydney Collazos, Presleigh Pilon and Taylor Strain each tallied a hit in the matchup
  *   Strain recorded the only RBI of the game and the only extra-base hit
  *   The Bears out-hit the Jayhawks, 6-3
  *   Dariana Orme pitched a complete game and only allowed three hits

QUOTABLE

Head Coach Glenn Moore

“Timely hitting was the key I think, and they did have timely hitting. I thought it was an evenly played ballgame and we had some solid barrels and they made some great plays and we made some great plays. (Kasey) Hamilton threw a heck of a ballgame and kept us off-balance when it mattered most, so I tip my hat to her performance. But I didn’t think we played a bad ballgame either. We just couldn’t get the timely hits, especially that first inning with the bases loaded with one out and she gets out of it. That was a big inning starting off right away. I thought we kept fighting and trying to make adjustments. We had six hits, but I thought we hit the ball better than six hits. I think we’ll respond well and play with a little chip on our shoulder.”

Outfielder McKenzie Wilson on the bases loaded in the first …

“I wouldn’t say it set the tone because we had great at-bats after that. I think timely hitting just wasn’t there today. We laced up a lot of balls really hard and they made great plays, and that’s just the game of softball. That first inning would have been a great opportunity to set the tone, like ‘Hey we’re here and this is our house.’ Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. It’s the offense’s job to continue to grind out at-bats and win every pitch. You win pitches, you win at-bats, you get baserunners on and move them over. That’s how our offense operates, and we’re looking to do that tomorrow.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will be back for game two of the three-game series against the Kansas Jayhawks, looking to even the series Saturday, April 1, at 2 p.m. at Getterman Stadium.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>