Baylor WT Powers Past West Virginia, 6-1

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 24 22:03:17 CDT 2023

Baylor WT Powers Past West Virginia, 6-1

The Bears rise to 11-9 on the season, win third-straight

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The Baylor women’s tennis team (11-9, 2-3 Big 12) defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers (11-5, 1-2 Big 12), 6-1, at the Hurd Tennis Center on Friday evening.

“It was a great team win today,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We’re so proud of the ladies. They really competed hard. Doubles was a great start, in particular on court one – Daniella and Paula were fantastic. That momentum carried over into singles and we fought hard as a team.”

Baylor was in control the entire match with the team dropping only one set overall. Doubles started with a 6-1 win on court one by Daniella Dimitrov and Paula Baranano, followed by a 6-2 victory by Alina Shcherbinina and Brooke Thompson on court three, giving the Bears an early 1-0 advantage.

Baranano raced out to a 6-1, 6-2 win to begin singles and Dimitrova quickly followed with a 6-2, 6-0 win of her own. A 6-2, 6-1 win by Danielle Tuhten on No. 6 cemented the win for Baylor. Play continued as Shcherbinina pushed the Bears ahead 5-0 with a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 1 with her fourth-straight singles victory.

Liubov Kostenko fought hard on court three, ultimately falling in a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(7) tiebreaker set. A 6-3, 7-6(1), victory at the No. 2 position by Anita Sahdiieva rounded out the match to finalize a 6-1 Baylor win.

“We had really good crowd support today, with the men’s team out here cheering for the ladies,” Scrivano continued. “It was a great atmosphere and ultimately a great team win. We just have to get ready for what’s next. That’ll be a big match for us.”

The Bears return to action at noon on Sunday against No. 6 Iowa State at the Hurd Tennis Center.

RESULTS

Singles

No. 1 – #124 Alina Shcherbinina def. Camilla Bossi: 7-5, 6-1

No. 2 – Anita Sahdiieva def. Ting-Pei Chang: 6-3, 7-6(1)

No. 3 – Michaela Kucharova def. Liubov Kostenko: 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(7)

No. 4 – Daniella Dimitrov def. Maja Dodik: 6-2, 6-0

No. 5 – Paula Baranano def. Tanya Lipatova: 6-1, 6-2

No. 6 – Danielle Tuhten def. PeiJu Hsieh: 6-2, 6-1

Doubles

No. 1 – Daniella Dimitrov/Paula Barañano def. Camilla Bossi/Ting-Pei Cang: 6-1

No. 2 – Isabella Harvison/Anita Sahdiieva vs. Momoko Nagato/Michaela Kucharova: 5-4 (unfinished)

No. 3 – Alina Scherbinina/Brooke Thompson def. Tanya Lipatova/Maja Dodik: 6-2

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)