Baylor MT Blanks the Mustangs in Dallas, 4-0

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 23 20:48:03 CDT 2023

Baylor MT Blanks the Mustangs in Dallas, 4-0
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

DALLAS, Texas – No. 49 Baylor men’s tennis swept the No. 47 SMU Mustangs, 4-0, in Dallas on Thursday night.

Baylor (10-11) got the doubles point, two quick wins on Courts Four and Six and won an absolute battle by Luc Koenig on five to take the match.

THE RUNDOWN

SMU struck first in doubles play, taking a 6-3 match decision on one with No. 69 Adam Neff and Pranav Kumar defeating No. 11 Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz.

It didn’t take long for the Bears to take the remaining two courts and the doubles point, as Koenig and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi dominated to a 6-2 win on two, while Justin Braverman and Christopher Frantzen got win No. 4 together this season, 6-4, on Court Three.

Ethan Muza delivered the first singles win for the Bears at the Styslinger / Altec Tennis Complex, taking a 6-3, 6-1 match over SMU’s Louis Cloud. Grassi Mazzuchi just moments later gave Baylor point No. 3, as he defeated Kumar, 7-5, 6-2, on Court Four.

Almost one hour later, Koenig fought back after a second-set surge from SMU’s Julian Steinhausen to clinch the match, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.

Velcz and Marko Miladinović were both up in their third sets, while Paroulek was tied at three-all in his third. All three matches were left unfinished.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Thursday’s match…

“I feel like everybody contributed today. I know Teddy [Paroulek] and Zsombor [Velcz] didn't get a win, but they've been just putting up points for us all year. They hung around as long as they could in singles and did a great job of taking pressure off of different positions. That was a huge win for Chris [Frantzen] and Justin [Braverman]. I mean, they played unbelievable tennis and they were so competitive. In singles Ethan Muza did an incredible job and Juampi [Grassi Mazzuchi] battled some frustration early and got through. I mean, that's just good stuff. We needed this one and we're going to celebrate it.

On the Baylor contingent at SMU…

“I was so impressed with the crowd tonight. I was locked in on a couple of courts and when a loud cheer erupted, I couldn't tell if it was SMU or Baylor. It was a fantastic crowd. SMU did a great job tonight putting on a fantastic event, as always. Our Baylor fans showed up and they were loud. There were a lot of former players, supporters of the program and just random fans. It was awesome. They were so loud and it so much fun.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears hit the road to play at Tulsa next Wednesday.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)