No. 21 Baylor Softball Sweeps Houston in Series Finale, 3-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 19 17:42:17 CDT 2023

No. 21 Baylor Softball Sweeps Houston in Series Finale, 3-0
Bears pick up seventh shutout win of the season

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor softball defeated Houston, 3-0, Sunday afternoon at Getterman Stadium to sweep the Cougars in the three-game series.

The Bears, now 22-5 on the season, pick up their seventh shutout win of the season and improve to 25-15 all-time against the Cougars.

THE RUNDOWN
The Bears continued with their hot bats from the weekend, as McKenzie Wilson led off the game with an infield single and stole second. Sydney Collazos, who is currently on a five-game hitting streak, hit an infield single to the shortstop and scored Wilson from third.

Baylor got on the board again in the third inning, when Shaylon Govan launched her seventh home run of the season over the wall in left field, putting the Bears up 2-0.

Adding the Bears’ fifth home run in the last two games, Kaci West extended the Bears lead to 3-0 in the fourth inning, when she left the yard for her first long ball of the season.

Emily Hott singled in the fifth, but the Bears wouldn’t need any more runs, as they shutout the Cougars, 3-0.

HIGHLIGHTS
Baylor recorded 31 hits on the weekend, with five home runs.

Sydney Collazos was 7-for-10 on the weekend and is currently on a five-game hit streak.

McKenzie Wilson was the only Bear to record multiple hits in the game, as six different Bears recorded a hit.

Dariana Orme, now 10-2 on the season, pitched her eighth complete game of the season, striking out eight and only allowing three hits.

The Bears also turned five double plays on the weekend.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Glenn Moore
“Friday, for at least five innings, wasn’t the greatest and we didn’t adjust fast enough to the pitcher. We came back today after studying a lot of film and we had a great approach, Coach (Steve) Johnigan had a great approach for our hitters and they bought into it. We were able to run her pitch count up, and I think that helped us see better pitches today.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will start a four-game road swing with a midweek matchup against UT Arlington on March 22, at 11:30 a.m. CT, before heading to Stillwater, Okla., to face the Cowgirls and open conference play.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>