Dimitrov Earns Second Win of the Weekend in Setback to No. 20 Oklahoma

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 12 16:57:17 CDT 2023

Dimitrov Earns Second Win of the Weekend in Setback to No. 20 Oklahoma
The freshman was the only Bear to pick up multiple singles wins during Big 12 opening weekend

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor women’s tennis (8-8, 0-2 Big 12) dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 20 Oklahoma (10-6, 1-1 Big 12) at the Hurd Tennis Center on Sunday.

Despite the loss, freshman Daniella Dimitrov earned her second victory of the weekend at No. 6 singles to help the Bears avoid the shutout.

“We’re really happy for Daniella,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “She’s played very well, and she has earned it. She’s put in a lot of work and fought through a lot of the peaks and valleys to get to this moment, and we’re excited about her continued growth and what is to come.”

Oklahoma powered past Baylor, 6-1, at No. 2 doubles, but it was a race to the finish on the other two courts. The Bears were leading 5-2 on No. 1 doubles, before the Sooners edged Baylor, 7-5, at the No. 3 position to earn the first point of the match.

The Sooners jumped ahead, 5-0, in the match, before Dimitrov secured the 6-4, 6-4 win on No. 6 to put the Bears on the board. On court No. 2, Alina Shcherbinina forced a third set after taking the opening frame, 6-4, and #86 Carmen Corley returning the favor in the second set. Corley outlasted Shcherbinina, 10-6, to take the tiebreaker and finish the match for Oklahoma.

“The entire weekend I liked the spirit of our team,” Scrivano said. “We competed really hard, and it just didn’t work out on the scoreboard for us, but we are moving in the right direction. The spirit is good, and our doubles pairs have made tremendous improvements. Now we just have to get ready for our Kansas trip, which is always a tough trip. We have to get back to work and make sure we are physically and mentally prepared for that.”

The Bears will continue Big 12 play on the road next weekend when it travels to Kansas (March 17) and Kansas State (March 19).

RESULTS

Singles

No. 1 – Layne Sleeth def. #92 Isabella Harvison: 6-2, 6-2

No. 2 – #86 Carmen Corley def. Alina Shcherbinina: 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)

No. 3 – #97 Alexandra Pisareva def. Liubov Kostenko: 6-1, 6-1

No. 4 – Emma Staker def. Anita Sahdiieva: 6-2, 6-4

No. 5 – Julia Garcia Ruiz def. Paula Barañano: 6-3, 7-5

No. 6 – Daniella Dimitrov def. Ivana Corley: 6-4, 6-4

Doubles

No. 1 – Isabella Harvison/Anita Sahdiieva vs. #32 Carmen Corley/Ivana Corley, 5-2 (unfinished)

No. 2 - #8 Layne Sleeth/Alexandra Pisareva def. Alina Shcherbinina/Paula Barañano, 6-1

No. 3 – Julia Garcia Ruiz/Romana Cisovska def. Liubov Kostenko/Brooke Thompson, 7-5

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)