No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Drops 12-7 Contest at No. 3 TCU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 4 18:23:01 CST 2023

No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Drops 12-7 Contest at No. 3 TCU
Silvestri picks up 11th Flat win, Fences MOP in regular-season finale

FORT WORTH, Texas – No. 8 Baylor equestrian (5-8, 2-4) dropped its regular-season finale, 12-7, to No. 3 TCU on Saturday, March 4, in Fort Worth, Texas.

Despite a 3-2 event win in Flat, BU was unable to collect enough points needed to upset the Horned Frogs on their home dirt.

Two Bears took home Most Outstanding Performer honors in senior Dominika Silvestri (Fences) capturing her fifth award of the year and fifth-year senior Marley Mainwaring (Horsemanship) bringing home her first honors of the season.

THE RUNDOWN
The meet kicked off with the Bears falling 3-1 in Fences against the Horned Frogs. BU’s only point came from senior Dominika Silvestri, who scored an 84 and garnered MOP honors in the event.

After a short break to clear the arena, the Flat squad collected its eighth-straight win, beating the Horned Frogs 3-2. Madison Mitchell’s 83, Madeline Vorhies’ 82, and Silvestri’s 82 all brought points to the board. In Reining, the Bears struggled to gain traction, dropping the event 4-1 with Jenna Meimerstorf’s 71.5 accounting for Baylor’s lone point.

To close out the meet, the Bears pushed TCU in Horsemanship, but eventually dropped the event 3-2. None of the Horned Frogs’ three points came by a margin of more than a point, as Bella Rosa (76) and Marley Mainwaring (77) racked up the tallies for BU.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor’s Flat squad is riding an eight-meet win streak.
• Senior Dominika Silvestri improves her Flat record to 11-2 for the season.
• Silvestri also earned her fifth MOP honor of the season and third in Fences.
• Senior Maddie Vorhies is unbeaten in her last 10 Flat rides.
• Junior Madison Mitchell is on a seven-meet win streak on the Flat.
• Marley Mainwaring recorded a career-high 77 in Horsemanship.
• Mainwaring earned her first MOP of the season, and third of her career.

STAT OF THE MEET
• 11—Dominika Silvestri’s win in Flat improves her season record to 11-2, the most Flat wins by a Bear since Rachael Davis collected 11 in the 2020-21 campaign.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On her team’s performance against the No. 3 Horned Frogs…
“We had very strong performances in all four events today and I’m very proud of how our team challenged this tough TCU team. I feel like I’m getting redundant, but our team was really good. We exuded a lot of confidence and rode really strong. I think we are definitely ready to keep pushing forward this postseason.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 8 Baylor (5-8, 2-4) enters the postseason with a trip to Stillwater, Okla. for the Big 12 Championship on March 24 and 25. The meet’s start time on Friday is yet to be announced.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)