No. 9 Baylor WGOLF Finishes Seventh at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Wed Mar 1 18:11:27 CST 2023

No. 9 Baylor WGOLF Finishes Seventh at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate
Rosie Belsham records a third-straight top-5 finish to lead BU
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – Baylor’s Rosie Belsham stayed red-hot on Wednesday, finishing third and leading the Bears to a seventh-place finish at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate at Long Cove Club.

Making the turn at 11-over, all four counting scores for Baylor were over par, but the Bears played the back nine in six-under as a team to climb from 12th to seventh.

LSU captured the team title with a 6-over 858 to edge second-place South Carolina by 4 shots. Mathilde Claisse of South Carolina took home individual medalist honors with a 5-under 208.

THE RUNDOWN
Belsham opened with a birdie at No. 1, but suffered a double bogey a couple of holes later at No. 3. A bogey at No. 5 dropped her to 3-over on the day, before she began to work back towards even par with a birdie at No. 7. After making the turn at 1-over, Belsham made a birdie at No. 14 surrounded by eight pars to polish off an even-par 71 to lock in her third-place finish.

Sera Hasegawa finished tied for 30th capped off by a 2-over 73 on Wednesday. Hasegawa started 4-over through her first five holes but settled in to make the turn at 4-over 40. The sophomore’s streak of nine-straight pars was only interrupted by a birdie at No. 15 and another at 18 to close out the round.

For a second-straight year, BaiMai Seema saved her best round for last, shooting a 1-over 72 in Wednesday’s final round. Seema opened with bogeys on three of her first four holes, before rolling in her first birdie of the day at No. 6 to make the turn at 2-over. She dropped back to 3-over with a bogey at No. 12, but finished strong on the inward half with birdies at Nos. 14 and 17 to secure a tie for 45th.

Silje Ohma finished tied for 53rd following a 5-over 76 in the final round. The freshman started 4-over through her first four holes due, in large part, to a triple bogey at the par-4 fourth. She finished the front nine at 5-over with a bogey at No. 8. Ohma made five-straight pars on the back nine until her first birdie of the day came at No. 15. A final bogey at No. 16 put her in a tie for 53rd.

Hannah Karg finished tied for 58th on the heels of a 2-over 73 on Wednesday, her career-best score at Long Cove Club. The senior played the front nine at 4-over with a double bogey at No. 3 and bogeys at Nos. 6 and 8 for a front-nine 40. Karg made a birdie at No. 10 to open the back nine, and followed with two more at Nos. 15 and 18 to improve her score for a third-straight day.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor was one of three teams to play the more difficult back nine under par (-6) on Wednesday.
  *   At 6-under for the back nine Baylor was three shots better on the inward half than any other team.
  *   Rosie Belsham secured her third-straight top-5 finish, the longest stretch of her career.
  *   Belsham’s three-straight top-5s marks the longest such stretch by a BU women’s golfer since Gurleen Kaur had three-straight top-5’s at the end of last fall.
  *   Belsham is now tied for the sixth-most top-5 finishes in program history.
  *   With 15 top-10 finishes, Belsham moves into the top-5 in program history.
  *   Belsham finished with the third-best par-4 scoring average (3.94).
  *   Hannah Karg and BaiMai Seema equaled or improved their scores in each of the three rounds.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Jay Goble on the team’s turnaround: “We showed a lot of guts and a lot of perseverance to finish the way we did. To say we were flat was an understatement, so to come back on a difficult course like this, and play the best back nine in the field shows how great of a team we are. I believe that this should show us we can hang with any team in the country, because these teams are the best teams in the country.”

Goble on the play of Rosie Belsham: “I'm extremely proud of Rosie. I think the really special thing about her is she's having a good time, putting in the work and reaping the rewards. It’s always great to see that from somebody that has the right attitude and does the right things. She's playing like the great player she is, and I think the sky's the limit for Rosie.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will be off for the next few weeks before returning to the Phoenix area for the PING/ASU Invitational at Papago Golf Club, March 24-26th. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF/)