Baylor Athletics Closes Out Superb Semester in the Classroom

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Wed Jun 28 15:21:47 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – June 28, 2023

Baylor Athletics Closes Out Superb Semester in the Classroom
Bears’ 3.30 GPA is the highest for a spring term

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor Athletics closed out the Spring 2023 semester with a 3.30 term GPA, the highest spring-term GPA on record, and marks the 30th-consecutive term with a 3.0 or higher.

The Bears totaled 297 total academic champions (60%) and 165 personal-best GPAs with 352 student-athletes with a 3.0 or higher (71%).

Over all sports, Baylor has a current 3.30 cumulative GPA, marking the 25th-consecutive semester with a 3.1 terms GPA or higher, which makes 18 of the last 20 semesters above a 3.2 GPA.

“The statistics speak volumes, as we have witnessed notable advancements in six crucial categories,” said Ramone Cooper, Associate AD of Academic Services. “The percentage of student-athletes earning a 4.00 GPA and 3.00 GPA, the percentage of our student-athletes on the Dean's List, the continuous improvement in personal bests, and the impressive rise in both term and cumulative GPAs.”

“These achievements are a testament to the efforts of our student-athletes and unwavering support provided by the Student-Athlete Center for Excellence Staff. Our team is dedicated to empowering our students and assisting them in their pursuit of excellence both on and off the field. It is gratifying to witness their consistent growth, surpassing expectations each term. While our student-athletes' accomplishments thus far have been remarkable, we remain confident that the best is yet to come.”

An impressive 65 Baylor student-athletes finished the term with a perfect 4.0 GPA, led by acrobatics & tumbling with nine and football with seven. Equestrian and Men’s track each had six, with three sports following close behind with five.

“What a remarkable finish to the spring by our student-athletes,” said Josh Young, Assistant AD of Academic Services. “We are incredibly proud about the level of execution and commitment to the learning process this semester. As their success was highlighted through the amount of personal-best GPAs. I am truly hopeful that our students will continue accomplishment great things in the classroom.”

Out of 165 personal bests, football had 36 student-athletes reach the milestone and equestrian and acrobatics and tumbling followed with 18 each.

A total of 94 student-athletes made the Dean’s list with a term GPA of 3.7 or higher. Men’s cross country and women’s golf led the charge with four on the list.

“It is always a joy at the end of a semester to look back and celebrate all the accomplishments after so many hours of hard work put in during the semester,” said Lauren Kirby, Assistant AD of Learning Support. “This applies to our student-athletes, who continue to amaze us with the level of excellence they pursue in all areas; as well as our staff, who give their all to provide an elite level of academic support to student-athletes. The academic journey at Baylor is not easy, but our student-athletes and staff continue to perform at the highest level.”

For the full 2022-23 academic year, Baylor Athletics posted a 3.28 GPA and had 11 sports record a 3.20 team GPA or better.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>