Hamilton Joins Baylor MT Staff as Assistant Coach

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Mon Jun 26 10:29:21 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – June 26, 2023

Hamilton Joins Baylor MT Staff as Assistant Coach
Ole Miss alum joins BU from three-year volunteer stint with SMU
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Grey Hamilton will join Baylor men’s tennis as a new assistant coach effective July 1, head coach Michael Woodson announced on Monday.

“We are very fortunate to be adding Grey to our coaching staff for the upcoming season,” said Woodson. “I have personally known him for the better part of a decade, first as one of the elite players in the country in college and on the professional circuit, then as an up-and-coming collegiate coach. Grey brings competitiveness, humility and a passion for making an impact that will have an immediate effect on our student-athletes and the entire men’s tennis program as evidenced by the successful rise of the SMU program during his tenure.”

In his three-year stint as a volunteer assistant at SMU, Hamilton worked with head coach Grant Chen to boost the Mustangs to back-to-back automatic NCAA Championship appearances in 2022 and 2023 after winning the AAC Championship title in the same consecutive years.

“I couldn’t be more honored and excited for the opportunity to be a part of such a storied program, and particularly to work alongside Michael and Izak [van der Merwe], two men I have tremendous respect for,” said Hamilton. “Baylor is a special place, and I can’t wait to get started!”

In his time at Ole Miss, Hamilton aided the Rebels to four-straight NCAA tournament appearances and qualified to the NCAA Doubles Championship in 2017. In the 2018 season, he had a key role in the 17th Sweet 16 program appearance for the Rebels. Hamilton also won the doubles regional title in the fall of 2016 at the ITA Southern Regional Tournament.

Excelling in the classroom, Hamilton left Ole Miss with an entrepreneurship-concentrated business administration degree and tabbed spots on the Dean’s and SEC Honor Rolls, while also being named an ITA Scholar-Athlete.

The Southern Pines, N.C., native had a run in a professional career in 2019, highlighted by appearances in the Arcadia M15 singles final and the Cancun M15 doubles final, before returning to Ole Miss to serve as volunteer assistant.

“We are excited to welcome Grey and his wife, Gretchen, a Baylor graduate, to Waco,” Woodson said. “With the Hamiltons on board, special times are ahead for the Bears!”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F/XC, MTEN, FB)