No. 9 Baylor WGOLF Tied for Fourth After Round one of the Darius Rucker

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Mon Feb 27 18:52:32 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 27, 2023

No. 9 Baylor WGOLF Tied for Fourth After Round One of the Darius Rucker
Junior Rosie Belsham led the Bears with a 2-under 69
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – Rosie Belsham shot the only bogey-free round on Monday at Long Cove Club, leading Baylor women’s golf to a tie for fourth after round one of the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate.

Belsham’s 2-under 69 was good enough for a tie for third, two shots back of Auburn’s Megan Schofill, who holds the overnight lead. Monday marked Belsham’s second-straight round in the 60s and her fifth round at par or better this spring. On a day when the stroke average was north of 75, all four of BU's counting scores came in below that number.

Baylor’s 7-over 291 is eight-shots back of the co-leaders No. 6 LSU and No. 4 South Carolina, who shot 1-under 283s.

THE RUNDOWN
Belsham started on the back nine and opened with four-straight pars before making back-to-back birdies at Nos. 14 and 15. The junior finished with a streak of 12-straight pars, highlighted by a long par save on her final hole of the day at No. 9.

Silje Ohma shot a 1-over 72, just her second round over par in seven chances this spring. The freshman opened with a pair of bogeys on Nos. 10 and 11, followed by seven-straight pars to close her opening nine. Ohma opened her second nine with birdies at Nos. 1 and 3 before a bogey at No. 4. The Bergen, Norway, native then closed out the round with five-more pars to finish tied for 12th after day one.

BaiMai Seema shot a 4-over 75 in her fourth career round at Long Cove Club. The sophomore made an early birdie in her round at No. 11 but closed out her first nine with bogeys at Nos. 12, 14 and 17 to go out in 2-over 37. Turning to the front side, Seema made five-straight pars before bogeys at Nos. 6 and 8 to close out the round in a tie for 40th.

Sera Hasegawa also beat the stroke average on Monday with a 4-over 75. She made a bogey at No. 10, followed by three more at Nos. 13, 16 and 17 to make the turn at 4-over. Hasegawa’s first birdie of the day came at No. 3, but she made one more bogey at No. 8 to finish Monday in a tie for 40th.

Hannah Karg shot a 7-over 78 in the first round. The senior opened with four-straight pars until her first bogey of the day came at No. 14. After a birdie at No. 16, she made seven bogeys in her final 11 holes at Nos. 17, 18, 1, 3, 5, 7 and nine to finish tied for 68th.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Rosie Belsham shot the only bogey-free round in the field on Tuesday.
  *   Belsham’s 16 pars were the second-most on Monday.
  *   The junior was one of just eight players in the field to card a score in red figures in round one.
  *   All four of BU's counting scores came in below the stroke average, one of six teams in the field to have all four counting scores at 75 or better.

QUOTABLE:
Rosie Belsham to Golf Channel on bogey free round: "I'm playing well, so I knew I just needed to stay patient. The wind picked up big time on the back nine, and some of those holes — especially the par-4’s — played so long. I knew I had to hit it straight off the tee and then find the greens because it's all about pace out here. There are some funky slopes and pins, so you just have to make sure you’re hitting it in the right spots and taking the pars where you have to take them.”

Goble on Position after 18 holes: “It's a marathon, not a sprint, so we haven't even played a full half yet. I feel good about where we are right now, but there's a lot of golf left. This place tests your patience all day long, so if we can stay patient the next few days and make good decisions, then we will be in a good spot moving forward.”

Playing on Golf Channel: “I feel really lucky that we have the opportunity to come here and play. We are grateful for the opportunity to be here. Having the Golf Channel here is not only big for women's golf but also for Baylor women's golf. We'd like to have a good finish moving forward so that we can continue to come back because it's just a great place to be.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play with Northwestern and Vanderbilt on Tuesday in the second round, led by Hannah Karg, at 8:20 a.m. CT. BaiMai Seema will follow at 8:30 a.m., just before Sera Hasegawa. Silje Ohma takes the penultimate tee time at 8:50 a.m., followed by Rosie Belsham at 9:00 a.m.

Golf Channel will provide live coverage from 1:30-4:00 p.m. CT, with live stats also available at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=27194> For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF/)