Hot Bats Power No. 25 Baylor SB Past Minnesota, 15-2, in Baylor Invitational Championship

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 26 14:09:52 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 26, 2023

Hot Bats Power No. 25 Baylor SB Past Minnesota, 15-2, in Baylor Invitational Championship
Bears improve to 13-1 with ninth-straight win

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182; katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 25-ranked Baylor softball team needed just five innings to win the 2023 Baylor Invitational, running away with a 15-2 victory over Minnesota at Getterman Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

With the win, Bears moved to 13-1 on the year and picked up their ninth-straight. Only one of Baylor’s 12 hits was for extra bases, as the Bears used five multi-hit performances to power past Minnesota.

Minnesota dropped to 8-6 on the season, as the Gopher pitching staff combined for seven walks and just a pair of strikeouts in the setback.

THE RUNDOWN

The Gophers jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the second, before the Bears scratched five runs across on four hits in the home half of the inning.

Baylor extended its cushion in the third, drawing three walks and utilizing a hit from Presleigh Pilon and fielding error by Minnesota to surge ahead, 9-2.

A six-run fourth inning was highlighted by a pair of hits from Emily Hott, as the junior pushed the Bears ahead by 13 with her second RBI of the game.

Dariana Orme and the Bears worked a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the fifth to remain undefeated at home and win the Baylor Invitational.

HIGHLIGHTS

The top of the Baylor batting order led the way with three RBI apiece. McKenzie Wilson and Amber Toven went 2-for-3 at the dish, while Taylor Strain went 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored. Wilson scratched a team-leading three runs across, and Ana Watson drew a team-high two walks.

Orme picked up her sixth victory of the season in the circle, moving to 6-1 on the year. The right-handed hurler registered three strikeouts, bringing her season total to 36.

STAT OF THE GAME

5 – The Bears loaded the bases five times throughout the game, including three times in the fourth inning.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Glenn Moore on this weekend as a whole…

“Probably going into this tournament, we didn’t know that it would have as strong a field as it was. But as we played the other teams play the last couple of weeks, I think we sent a message in the first game against Maryland that we’re here to play. And that probably carried us momentum-wise through the whole weekend. Make no mistake, that’s a great team we just beat (Minnesota). Might not have had Pease in the circle, she certainly makes a difference, but we took care of that earlier and were able to do what we needed to do against the team that we saw today.

I thought the matchup, by the way, was perfect. You don’t want to play two teams like that on the opening day of the tournament, but you come away with a win throwing your bullpen and then able to throw your ace against them for the championship game. That’s why you want to stay as the top seeds, so you’re able to do some things and not have to pitch Dari until this game. We brought her in (yesterday), but really had enough pitches in that appearance last night to give her a good bullpen work.”

Emily Hott on supplying Dariana (Orme) with run support…

“When she went out there and gave up that two-run home run, the first thing we said to her was that we had her back. And guess what? We went up there and put up five runs right away. We just showed Minnesota that we weren’t going to back down. Just knowing that we have pitchers that can come back and throw as well as she did after giving up that home run. The offense can always have their backs.”

McKenzie Wilson the team’s confidence…

“I think we’re confident, but it’s humble confidence. We’re not trying to get too high, and we don’t want to plateau. We want to keep improving and keep on taking the steps forward that we need to. This team is fun to watch, and I have no doubt in my mind, as Coach Moore mentioned, that Getterman is going to be packed pretty soon and we’re going to bring the fans back into Getterman. It’s going to be a fun time.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor will continue its homestand with its first midweek matchup of the season, hosting UT Arlington at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, before welcoming Sam Houston and Texas A&M to Waco for the Ode to Joy Invitational next weekend.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)