Baylor MT Sweeps ACU and Brown, 7-0

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 25 22:22:34 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 25, 2023

Baylor MT Sweeps ACU and Brown, 7-0
The Bears win all singles sets on Saturday
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis secured back-to-back victories on Saturday, defeating both Abilene Christian and Brown, 7-0 at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

Baylor (7-8) took the doubles point on Saturday and won every singles set played.

THE RUNDOWN

MATCH ONE

The Bears clinched the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead after Justin Braverman and Christopher Frantzen earned a 6-1 win on No. 3, followed by a 6-2 win from the tenth-ranked duo Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz on No. 1.

Ethan Muza dropped a double bagel on No. 5 for the Bears’ first singles point, 6-0, 6-0. Justin Braverman quickly followed up with a 6-0, 6-2 win of his own on No. 6.

Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi on No. 4 clinched the match for Baylor, winning 6-1, 6-3.

The Bears would play the match out, giving Zsombor Velcz (6-1, 6-2) and Luc Koenig (6-2, 6-0) wins of their own to push the score to 6-0.

Marko Miladinović completed the sweep with a 6-4, 6-2 win on No. 1.

MATCH TWO

The Bears were locked with Brown in doubles until Paroulek and Velcz took the 6-4 win on court one. The decision came down to No. 2, where Grassi Mazzuchi and Koenig pulled away in a 6-4 win to claim the point for the Bears.

Koenig raced out to a 6-1, 6-4 win on No. 4 to kickstart things in singles before quick wins on the remaining courts gave the Bears their second sweep of the day.

Paroulek and Miladinović won on No. 1 and 2 at 6-2, 6-0, and 6-1, 6-2, respectively, to clinch the match. Mazzuchi took No. 5, 6-1, 6-1, and Muza followed with a 6-0, 6-3 victory on No. 6 to round out the night.

STAT OF THE GAME

0 – Number of sets dropped by the Bears on Saturday in singles

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On the team bouncing back…

“We’ve done a good job of progressing over the matches. Several of them didn’t go our way, but the team is growing stronger. I thought they did a really good job of respecting the opponents they played today, playing really hard from start to finish, and they were able to win some lopsided sets. I was really pleased with that.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears return to action on Sunday, March 5, at 1 p.m. in Waco for match No. 2 against Arizona State this season.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)