No. 10 MT Falls Short in Battle Against No. 16 Florida, 4-2

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 19 13:14:09 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 19, 2023

No. 10 Baylor MT Falls Short in Battle Against No. 16 Florida, 4-2
Velcz marks two ranked wins against the Gators
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

CHICAGO – Baylor men’s tennis closed out the ITA Indoor National Team Championships on Sunday afternoon with a 4-2 loss against the 16th-ranked Florida Gators.

The Bears (5-8) lost the doubles point after a close 7-5 decision on Court Three but fought back to win two singles matches and forced three additional third set matches.

THE RUNDOWN

Doubles play saw a pair of 6-1 decisions for the Gators and for the Bears on Courts One and Two, respectively. Axel Nefve and Will Grant beat No. 9 Finn Bass and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi on one, while Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz recorded their third ranked win this season over No. 15 Tanapatt Nirunndorn and Togan Tokac.

With the doubles point coming down to Court Three, Ethan Muza and Luc Koenig fought the entire match, but the Gator pair of Jonah Braswell and Lukas Greif got a late break to clinch the point, 7-5.

In singles play, Nefve struck first in defeating No. 117 Paroulek, 6-4, 6-3. Velcz came right back, defeating No. 48 Braswell, 6-4, 6-3, to give the Bears their first point of the day.

On Court Two, 94th-ranked Grant was held close by Marko Miladinović, but the Gator pulled away and took a two-set win, 7-6(5), 7-5.

It looked as if the Gators had a 4-1 win just moments away, but freshman Koenig came back on Court Five to force a third set after sets one and two tabbed at 6-7(4), 7-5. Koenig’s match went unfinished.

No. 125 Grassi Mazzuchi defeated Tokac in three sets, 1-6, 7-5, 6-3, before Olek Orlikowski clinched the match on six, 4-6, 6-5, 6-4 over Muza.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Sunday’s match…

“Today was a real positive step in the right direction. It was a great college match today, credit to Florida for being able to get over the hump there at the end. We did a really good job of battling back at some positions, giving ourselves a chance and, of course winning a double and two singles courts. Of course, you don’t want to lose, but we are really making positive progress and moving in the right direction. I'm excited to get back to Waco and get to work with these guys. I think we have a bright future.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears return home to host Abilene Christian and Brown in a doubleheader on Sunday, Feb. 25. The first match begins at noon and will be followed with match No. 2 at 6 p.m.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)