No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Falls to No. 7 Oklahoma State, 10-9

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 18 19:42:03 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 18, 2023

No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Falls to No. 7 Oklahoma State, 10-9
Bears late comeback falls just short; Madison Mitchell sets program record in Flat

WACO, Texas – No. 8 Baylor equestrian (5-6, 2-3) dropped a narrow 10-9 contest to No. 7 Oklahoma State on Saturday at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

After trailing 7-2 at halftime, the Bears rallied late to pull within a point, but ultimately couldn’t complete the comeback.

Jumping Seat junior Madison Mitchell scored a program-record 94 in Flat, earning her second Most Outstanding Performer award of the season. Seniors Dominika Silvestri and Maddie Vorhies each scored 92’s in Flat, tying for the team’s second-highest score in the event this season.

THE RUNDOWN
The day began with a 4-1 win for OSU in Fences and a 3-1 victory in Horsemanship for the Cowgirls. Baylor’s Maddie Vorhies put up the lone point on the Jumping Seat side with an 80 on Puzzle, while Gabrielle Marty scored a 76.5 in the Western arena for the Bears’ only point of the event.

Then, Flat kicked off the second half with a 4-1 Baylor win. Annie Vorhies (89), Maddie Vorhies (92), Silvestri (92) and Mitchell (94) notched the tallies for BU, cutting the deficit to 8-6.

Reining rounded out the action, as Daisy Kaufman (69.5), Madaline Callaway (67.5) and Shelby Clausen (66) scored points for the Bears. But, it wouldn’t be enough as OSU held on for a 10-9 win.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor’s Flat squad has now won six events in a row.
• BU’s Reining squad has won five of its last six events.
• Junior Madison Mitchell scored a program-record 94 in Flat and picked up her second MOP of the season.
• Senior Maddie Vorhies has won six of her last seven Fences rides.
• M. Vorhies’s 92 in Flat is a career high. She extended her unbeaten streak in Flat to six with a win.
• Sophomore Annie Vorhies has now won four Flat rides in a row.
• Freshman Lauren Reid scored a career-high 87 in Flat.
• Senior Dominika Silvestri tallied a career-high 92 in Flat and improved her record to 9-2 on the season.
• Senior Madaline Callaway extended her unbeaten streak to four meets in Reining.

STAT OF THE MEET
94 – Madison Mitchell set the program record with a 94 in Flat.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“I think the big takeaway today is that they didn't get down on themselves in the first half when the score deficit was so rough. Flat made a huge rally coming in there and getting the score much closer and then Reining fought until the very end. So, I have to give it to them for pulling it within one point. It really stinks to lose by just one point, but moving forward we know that we are not playing against any easier caliber teams. Oklahoma State is an incredibly deep team and we had to be better in the first two events to pull this off today and that's what we’ll need to do at the Big 12 and National Championship. That’s the big takeaway, we did not ride our cleanest in any of the four events today, but they did not either so it was a pretty equal caliber competition. It's just going to keep continuing and getting tougher so we have got to keep cleaning up those mistakes and if someone is having an off day we have to build up and capitalize from that and not match them with equal mistakes on our end. I want to commend our Flat squad and our Reining squad for coming in and making a huge effort and our team for coming in and cheering them on and pushing them and watching them really rally and feeling like they could really get it done and they definitely could.”

Jumping Seat junior Madison Mitchell
On her program record Flat score…
“I think everyone was in a space like we need to get this done and it has to go this way, and I think everyone kind of just fed off each other’s confidence. I went in there telling myself this is going to be the best ride ever and like, I’m going to do this and it’s going to be amazing. I did it and it felt really good.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 8 Baylor (5-6) hosts No. 1 SMU (6-0) on Thursday, March 2, at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco for a Senior Day meet. First ride is scheduled for 1 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)