Baylor Baseball Drops Saturday Contest to Central Michigan

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 18 18:40:23 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 18, 2023

Baylor Baseball Drops Saturday Contest to Central Michigan
Bears and Chippewas set for rubber match on Sunday

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (1-1) dropped a Saturday afternoon contest to Central Michigan (1-1), 20-5, at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

The Chippewas evened the weekend series and forced a rubber match, set for Sunday at 1 p.m. at Baylor Ballpark.

Eight Bears made their Baylor debuts, including four freshmen who also made their collegiate debuts. Freshman LHP/OF Ethan Calder struck out four in two innings of work in his first-career appearance.

THE RUNDOWN
Junior LHP/OF Cam Caley retired the first 10 Chippewas he faced before allowing a solo home run that opened the scoring in the top of the fourth inning. Then, CMU put up a four-spot in the fifth to take an early 5-0 lead.

With two outs in the top of the sixth and freshman RHP Blake Rogers on the mound, the Bears committed their first of three errors in the frame to extend the inning. Central Michigan went on to score 15 team unearned runs and opened up a 20-0 lead on 10 hits, three walks and two hit-by-pitches.

Sophomore infielder Hunter Teplanszky notched his first hit as a Bear in the bottom of the seventh and came around to score following a pair of wild pitches to get BU on the board. Baylor would flash some more fight in the eighth with four runs on four hits and three walks, including first-career knocks from Zach Mazoch and Hunter Simmons. Teplanszky and Kolby Branch also picked up RBIs in the inning.

Calder and junior RHP Brett Garcia combined to strike out six over the last three innings and hold the Chippewas scoreless, setting up Sunday’s rubber match. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor is now 6-2 all-time against Central Michigan.
• Eight Bears made their Baylor debuts, including Daniel Altman, Ethan Calder, Zach Mazoch, Will Pendergrass, Blake Rogers, Hunter Teplanszky, Cole Tremain and Danny Valadez.
• Calder, Mazoch, Rogers and Valadez each made their collegiate debuts.
• Calder went two scoreless innings and struck out four batters.
• Mazoch collected his first-career hit, a double in the eighth inning.
• All three outs that Rogers recorded were strikeouts, the first of his career.
• Valadez also notched his first-career punchout.
• Pendergrass picked up his first multi-hit game of the year in his Baylor debut.
• Teplanszky reached base four times with two hits and two walks. He also scored two runs.
• Junior outfielder Hunter Simmons tallied his first-career hit and RBI at the Division I level.

STAT OF THE GAME
4 – Ethan Calder struck out four in his collegiate debut, throwing two scoreless innings.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On today’s game…
"It was a tough one, it got away from us there in the sixth inning. We had two outs and they hit a ball with tremendous spin. It’s a tough play, you see those types of things happen. We’ve got to be tougher than that, get that last out before they put up a 15-spot on us. It is what it is. A loss by one run or a loss by 15 runs is still a loss. We’re learning, we’re learning about our guys, about who can do things and who can’t right now. That’s part of this process. We’ll pick this one up, put it behind us as fast as we can and show up tomorrow to try and win a series.”

Freshman LHP/OF Ethan Calder
On making his collegiate debut…
“It felt great. This is a dream school for me. My parents went here, so it felt good to play for the green and gold. In situations like that, you just have to calm everything down and fill the zone. It’s hard to do what [Central Michigan] did with 15 hits, so just keep pounding the zone and try not to walk anybody.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (1-1) and Central Michigan (1-1) return for the rubber match on Sunday, Feb. 19, at 1 p.m. at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)