Baylor WT Falls in Competitive Match with Arkansas, 5-2

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 17 21:10:22 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 17, 2023

Baylor WT Falls in Competitive Match with Arkansas, 5-2
Four of the six singles courts went to a deciding third set

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The Baylor women’s tennis team (7-4) battled Friday night against the Arkansas Razorbacks (5-1), dropping the 5-2 decision at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center. Four of the six singles courts went to a deciding third set.

The duo of Anita Sahdiieva and Isabella Harvison picked up their first doubles win of the season together on No. 2, topping #58-ranked Grace O’Donnell and Lenka Stara. Arkansas responded with a 6-1 showing on No. 1 and a 7-6 (5) tiebreaking victory on No. 3 to earn the first point of the match.

In singles play, the Razorbacks jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a 6-4, 6-3 win on No. 6, before Anita Sahdiieva earned the 6-4, 6-4 victory on court No. 4 to cut into Baylor’s deficit. Arkansas regained a two-point advantage with a win on No. 3 to sit at a 3-1 lead in the match.

Harvison kept the Bears within reach with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory on No. 2, improving to 7-2 on the year in dual action. The Razorbacks clinched the match with a 7-5, 1-6, 6-4 win on court No. 1, before Morgan Cross outlasted the Bears’ Paula Barañano in a thrilling three-set outing on No. 5 to take the match, 5-2.

“I thought we responded really well from our last match,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “Unfortunately, it’s not the result we wanted, but the response was there, and it was overall a competitive match. Eventually, we will get the result we want as long as we keep fighting together as a team.”

The Bears continue their homestand next Friday when they host the nationally-ranked Washington Huskies at 6 p.m.

RESULTS

Singles
No. 1 – #99 Kelly Keller def. Alina Shcherbinina, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
No. 2 – #108 Isabella Harvison def. Indianna Spink, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
No. 3 – #45 Carolina Gomez-Alonso def. Liubov Kostenko, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
No. 4 – Anita Sahdiieva vs. Lenka Stara, 6-4, 6-4
No. 5 – Paula Barañano vs. Morgan Cross, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (4), 6-3
No. 6 – Kacie Harvey def. Danielle Tuhten, 6-4, 6-3

Doubles

No. 1 – Indianna Spink/Morgan Cross def. Paula Barañano/Danielle Tuhten, 6-1

No. 2 – Anita Sahdiieva/Isabella Harvison def. #58 Grace O’Donnell/Lenka Stara, 6-3

No. 3 – Kelly Keller/Carolina Gomez-Alonso def. Alina Shcherbinina/Liubov Kostenko, 7-6 (5)

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)