No 10 Baylor MT Opens Indoor Nationals with 4-0 Loss to No. 3 TCU

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 17 12:53:18 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 17, 2023

No 10 Baylor MT Opens Indoor Nationals with 4-0 Loss to No. 3 TCU
Bears move to play South Carolina Saturday at 9 a.m.
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

CHICAGO – Baylor men’s tennis lost the ITA Indoor National Championship first round match, 4-0, on Friday morning against conference foe, TCU, at the XS Tennis Village.

The Bears (5-6) lost the doubles point before the Horned Frogs (9-0) took wins on one, two and four to clinch the match.

THE RUNDOWN

TCU notched the doubles point with a pair of 6-3 wins on Courts Two and Three, with Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz tabbing their first loss of the season to Sander Jong and Jack Pinnington on two. On Court Three, Sebastian Gorzny and Pedro Vives Marcos got the win over BU’s Ethan Muza and Luc Koenig.

No. 9 Finn Bass and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi left their doubles match unfinished while knotted at five against Jake Fearnley and Luc Fomba.

The Bears battled in singles on Courts Three, Five and Six, who were all down after the first set. All three Bears, in Bass, Koenig and Grassi Mazzuchi, fought back in the second set to force a third, which were all left unfinished.

The Horned Frogs gained their first singles point from senior Sander Jong on court four over true-freshman Velcz with a 6-4, 6-2 decision. Marko Miladinović fought and nearly forced a third set against No. 49 Fomba, but lost the match in a breaker, 6-2, 7-6(3).

No. 17 Fearnley clinched the match on Court One against No. 117 Paroulek. In Set One, Paroulek saved three set points before the Horned Frog took a 7-5 win in the tiebreaker. Set No. 2 saw Fearnley with an early break to take the match, 6-4.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Friday’s match…

“I do think we are moving in the right direction. You have to give credit to TCU’s very seasoned team, but our guys are doing a better job of executing our games and backing ourselves. The courts were closer than maybe some of us on the courts actually realized. We have to understand that and then execute, and it makes me really pleased to see that we’re moving towards that.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears play South Carolina Saturday morning at 9 a.m. at the XS Tennis Village.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)